Luggage Restrictions

I see that the luggage dimensions is limited to 62 inches overall dimensions (length + width + height). Our luggage is 72.7" overall. Will the 62 inch dimensions be enforced. Do I need to purchase smaller luggage?

Comments

• Tauck isn't the only one with this restriction. The 62" overall and 50 pounds is pretty much the industry standard for airlines. You might want to check what the luggage restrictions are on the airline (s) you're flying for our trip. We replaced our over-sized bags a few years ago to ones no larger than 62" and have to work hard to keep under 50 pounds. If you go over, you risk the airline charging you more.

If you make it to the hotel/ship, no they probably won't refuse to handle your luggage but you are making it harder for them.

As a veteran of 3 river cruises, I can tell you the biggest mistake people make is over packing -- especially dressy clothes.
  • I notice too that every tour I take the people are more amd more casual, sometimes to the point of what I would call scruffy so do not waste space on too many dressy clothes, people just don’t seem to bother.
  • The other advantage of replacing bags is that the newer ones are made out of lighter weight material. I wouldn't buy any checked bag that didn't weigh under 10 pounds empty.
  • Tauck isn't the only one with this restriction. The 62" overall and 50 pounds is pretty much the industry standard for airlines.

Claudia makes a good point. While Tauck is unlikely to enforce their limits, the airlines are sticklers. They love to charge you for overweight and oversize bags. I've seen a lot of people with large bags in airport lines. I always wonder if they are going to get charged (a lot of them are foreigners who might be willing to pay the overage in exchange for the cheap goods they bought in the US). They certainly do charge for overweight bags. If you get a 25" bag (largest dimension) you can easily get 50 lbs into it.

In addition to lighter weight, you might also get nice features like TSA locks and spinner wheels that might not be on your current bags. If you go for hardside luggage, look for a polycarbonate shell. Thats the lightest and strongest material.

One final advantage. If you do go to smaller bags, you won't get people like me looking at your bag being loaded and wondering, "Do they really think that's a medium sized bag?" ;>)
  • We have been flying business on overseas trips, and we do not have any baggage restrictions. We have not nad any problems with Tauck on either land or river cruises.
    Nancy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file