Options

A special night in Maui

My husband and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary and will spend an extra day in Maui at the Fairmont Kea Lani as part of our celebration. We had planned a dinner on the last night at Merrimans which is about an hour away. Is it worth it to travel that far? Are there other places closer to us that would be equally special? Is there a way to rent a car for the last day for a day trip to the kapalua area, close to Merrimans?

Comments

• Options
    BMcCarthy wrote:
    My husband and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary and will spend an extra day in Maui at the Fairmont Kea Lani as part of our celebration. We had planned a dinner on the last night at Merrimans which is about an hour away. Is it worth it to travel that far? Are there other places closer to us that would be equally special? Is there a way to rent a car for the last day for a day trip to the kapalua area, close to Merrimans?

One of the best restaurants in the country is in Maui; Mama’s Fish House. Hard to get reservations but certainly worth the effort. Not sure how close or far it may be from your hotel. I suggest calling the hotel for that and they most likely can arrange a rental car for you as well. Might even have a rental counter on site.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Take what I say in the context that we are not foodies.

We have been to Hawaii and Maui several times but have never eaten at any of the Merrimans, so I had to look them up. They have an award-winning founder/owner/head chef but like other highly-rated/popular places can have their faults.

While the preponderance of reviews are excellent, I was surprised to see there were more than a few that reported that the service was lacking (popular = busy?) and there were a few reports that it was noisy and some staff were under-trained or indifferent, and some almost surly. Almost all reviews were in agreement that the view from Merriman's in Kapalua is to die for and the food (presentation and taste) fantastic, but also the portions were small but the price was definitely NOT!!! (4 $$$$'s).

Are you going for the food, the experience and/or bragging rights ("We ate at . . . "), or mainly to have a wonderful evening with your devoted groom of 40 years, or all of the above? You might want to consider searching for a highly rated but more intimate restaurant closer to the Kea Lani.

Though it may not be on your special night, whatever that is, it might be easier/closer to dine at a Merriman's on another night, during the tour when dinner is on your own- on Day 3 at Merrimans Ward Village, Honolulu (10 min. from the Royal Hawaiian), on Day 5 after the catamaran sail at Merriman's Waimea on the big island (27 min. from the Fairmont), or on Day 7 at Merriman's Fish House on Kauai (only 5 min. from the Hyatt).

The online itinerary for day 10 says, " . . . You’re invited for a look behind the kitchens attracting Maui foodies during a hands-on gourmet cooking experience with chefs during lunch at a well-known local restaurant." I wonder which restaurant?

It is easy to rent cars in Hawaii. You can arrange one through the Fairmont Kea Lani or in the nearby town of Wailea. Remember, if you decide to go to Merriman's, Kapalua in Mauai, you'll have that long 1 hr. drive back in the dark after dinner and (a few) Mai Tai's? : )
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    So here is my take...Merriman's is in Kapalua, which on a good day might be an hour away, however, depending on the time of year you are going, the trip could be a lot longer (most of the road is two lane and traffic frequently is stop and go...be sure to take the Lahaina Bypass which will cut off a lot of the traffic around Lahaina). Mama's is also about an hour away, in a different direction. The food is fabulous and the setting is lovely (in my opinion, nicer in the day than in the evening, although, the lights make it a different experience). Reservations are a must (mention special occasion and you might score a table along the edge looking out at the ocean), and it is not for the faint of wallet, with entrees hovering around the $60 mark (worth it as the presentations are lovely and fish is very fresh). Some of the tables are in a lovely setting others are in a bigger room.
    We used to mark special occasions by going to Nick's Fishmarket (right in your Fairmont hotel). We have asked for a specific table outside and are there for the lighting of the torches ceremony. But, since you are staying there, you should be able to see that nightly. However, perhaps, you will already have eaten there.
    Just down the road apiece (in the Four Seasons) is Ferrararo's, and we like that very much. Again, make a reservation and ask for a special table (it overlooks the ocean). Also in the Four Seasons is Duo (steakhouse) and Spago's, neither ones are our favorites, but our adult children like both of those.
    Another one that is very popular at the moment is Lahaina Grilll. I have not eaten there, but others rave about it. I am not sure about the atmosphere. The very best guide book for Maui is Maui Revealed. It is updated frequently and they rate all of the restaurants very accurately. Perhaps your local library carries a copy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file