Great Barrier Reef

Are there things to do and enjoy on the day for the Great Barrier Reef if you're not a swimmer?

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Yes, you can go in the mini submarine that is almost as good as snorkeling. I did Snorkeling and still had time to go in the sub twice while Mr B went on an advanced snorkel.
  • I see no reason why you couldn't just go for a swim without snorkeling. You'll still have to wear the wetsuit that is provided. You can also go on a (short) helicopter ride over the reef at an additional cost. I didn't take it, but did snorkel and go in the submarine. The submarine ride is not very long, either. Some people did it more than once. Just being on the Great Barrier Reef is a great experience. Don't skip it -- but if you're not doing any water activities, you might want to bring a book
  • edited December 2018
    We did the helicopter flight which was fabulous. Several large sharks observed sunning themselves. We also did the sub which was good but the water was a bit murky due to a significant cyclone just prior to our visit. My wife snorkeled for a while. The whole experience is very good and if you just don't want to do anything it will be enjoyable. Our entire Australia/New Zealand experience was very, very good. Top notch with Greg D. as our tour director.
  • Is there a charge for the submarine? Sounds fun.
  • There's no charge for the submarine (or the snorkeling).
  • Besides snorkeling are there opportunities to scuba drive ?
  • If you go back to the archives of this tour, on around page 10, Wallaroo has listed all the activities you can do and all the prices they cost in 2016. Or you can visit the website of Quicksilver which is the company Tauck use for the trip
  • JacquieB wrote:
    Besides snorkeling are there opportunities to scuba drive ?

Yes.
  • You can try the helmet dive which is for non-swimmers. It is an extra charge, but you are fitted with a glass helmet with oxygen feeding into it and walk down the steps off the platform to an underwater platform. You are accompanied by a scuba guide and a scuba photographer and they pour fish food on the collar of the helmet and you are attached by tons of fish. An easy activity for the non-swimmer and you get into the water safely where the fish come to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file