Options

DEET

For the travelers that have gone before us.... Did the hotels provide DEET wipes or do we have to bring some form of insect repellant?

Comments

• Options

Some hotels may provide insect repellent, but I wouldn't rely on it. A high quality, effective insect repellent is really important for protection. Personally, I've switched to picardin, which I prefer over DEET. Both have advantageous and they are considered equally effective. You can easily read up on both with a little web research to help you make a decision.

• Options

Bring your own. On our Tauck Bridges tour to Tanzania, none of the hotels seem to offer bug protection. I think it would be better to bring your own anyway.

• Options

Bring your own. Cover up and then only spray it on exposed skin, keep it away from mouth nose and eyes and don’t spray it on yourself in the vicinities of other people. You can also spray the clothing you are taking with Permethrin, this is for clothing only, not your skin. Look up instructions on line. Most recently we have only sprayed around arm openings, and necks to be more economical. By the way, Deet is not effective on Tsetse floes.

• Options

Jungle Juice from REI works great.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Look for wipes, most of the major brands offer them. Easier to pack and less intrusive to fellow travelers. Agree with British, we will be treating all our clothes with Permethrin.

• Options

Dannori, and others who treated their clothing with the Permethrin...did it really work to keep the bugs away? We use it in our back yard bug mister but that's not on clothing.

• Options

Either it worked great during K&T and B,SA,Z, or there were no bugs (skeeters, tsetse flies, etc.) in either place!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file