Options

K&T July 1, 2020 - we are going! Anyone else?

13»

Comments

• Options

• Options

I’ll never forget the mom and baby rhinos standing right next to our safari vehicle on our Elegant South Africa tour years ago. The baby was so inquisitive. We have been really lucky to see lots of rhinos on our tours. The most numerous were in Namibia!

• Options

• Options
    edited January 2021

British - How's this for close?

• Options
    edited January 2021

They were cutting the horns off for a while to try to discourage the poachers. But after tracking the animal for a couple days only to discover no horn, they would kill them anyway so as to not ‘waste’ their time tracking the same ‘hornless’ rhino.

Smiling Sam ... when were those pictures taken?

• Options

Yes Sam, the same for us, very close.

• Options

There is "vehicle close" and then there is just social distancing close, not in a vehicle :D:smile: It is amazing how the old jungle movies made rhinos into fierce, predatory animals. As I was reflecting on our visit with the protected rhinos in the Masai Mara, I asked Seth, our TD if the rhinos or guard would have allowed us to get closer and maybe even touch them- he said, "closer, sure, touch, 'probably' not." I wanted a do-over to see!

• Options

Yes Alan, did your gig too. We watched David Attenborough petting those two remaining Northern White Rhinos recently

• Options

We also saw the Rhino cemetery and Sudan's tombstone and the last Rhino on our visit in July 2018. Very sad moment indeed.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Sealord - My rhino pictures were from August 2015.

Alan - We got the same Masai Mara rhino photo op.

We also saw some rhino battles, albeit at a distance, where they were really kicking up the dust.

• Options

Don't get too close. You could wind up with an unplanned colonoscopy.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Colonoscopy preventer. (;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file