Just returned on May 6, 2022

Hi folks! We were the first tour out on this journey and returned on 5/6. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. Our group was just 5 travelers, yet we still toured in a 39-person coach. The TD and local guides were all top-notch. As you might expect, it was a real education.

Comments

• Five travelers! Wow! We leave next month for the same tour. Did you arrive a day early Warsaw and stay a day later in Prague? I am trying to put together a list of "must -do's". Any recommendations?

• When we arrived early, we took a cooking class that was really fun, we did a tasting of polish meats and cheeses etc and a vodka tasting, made pierogies and had a one with a great group of people. It was yet another pre tour highlight we often find before the Tauck tour commences. We found it on Trip Advisor I believe. We may have also toured so,e where historic too, I can’t recall if that was before the tour or not. One thing for sure, don’t visit the zoo, I heard poor reports about it.

• Turns out a did a big review of this tour, please look at past posts, mine is titled in capitals and is called NOTES ON….It was in September 2017, the tour may be slightly different now of course.

• Yes, I saw it already. Thanks.

• We did arrive early in Warsaw. If you can, try dinner at U Fukiera, a Magda Gessler restaurant (Master Chef). Her restaurants are known for modernizing Polish cuisine, and you’ll get plenty of traditional fare. The restaurant is a nice walk from the hotel. If you’re interested in Amber or Flint, do your shopping in Warsaw, as it seems to have the best selection within walking distance of the hotel. The Chopin Museum is interesting and the tour doesn’t go inside. Also, look around for Chopin benches that are scattered throughout the city. They’re very sweet and fun to find. Enjoy your trip!

• Thanks, what part of Chicago are you from? I grew up there.

• We lived for many years in Lincoln Park at roughly Lincoln and Webster. We moved to Evanston to raise our kids and have been here for 25ish years. Evanston is terrific!

• My favorite Tauck Cruise Director (Savoring France) - Shirene - lives in Evanston

• A shout-out to my nephew, long-time Evanston pediatrician Dr. Andy. Not sure of your kids' ages, but just in case Chicago Travelers might know him lol.

• I was on the same trip as the Chicago travelers, returned May 6. To me, both Warsaw and Prague are worth an extra day. Warsaw is beautiful, and the old town area is charming. Definitely come a day early if you want to see the modern Polin museum, which we only had time to go into briefly on the tour. If you like zoos (sounds like British does), head to the Schoenbrunn Zoo when you are in Vienna. Since you're already going to the Schoenbrunn Palace with the tour - wow, there is nothing like having the whole palace to yourself after hours - (I love you, Tauck!), you'll already know how to get there if you want to go to the zoo the next day. The Budapest Opera House just reopened in March, and it's stunning. For me, the best came last, which was Prague. You gotta love a place where the historic district is Old Town and New Town, and New Town was founded in the 14th Century! If you are thinking of taking this trip, just go, and thank yourself later.

• Hi, I apologize for the redundant posting (I started a new discussion) as this is the first time I participate in a forum. Could you share how do you like or dislike this tour overall? We are considering this tour for our 2023 vacation. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

• Has anyone been able to visit The Wieliczka Salt mines in Krakow? I’m considering this tour and am willing to arrive in Warsaw early. Not sure how to navigate this with the distance from Warsaw being 2.5 hours. Any suggestions? Also, regular tour vs. Jewish Heritage? I’ve seen earlier threads and would like impressions from any one who’s been on the Jewish Heritage tour recently. Thanks

• The Wieliczka Salt mine tour, which is included as part of the Berlin, Danube, and Krakow tour, is spectacular, IMO. On our 2018 tour our farewell dinner was held in the Salt Mines, at the end of the tour. During the tour you descend a few hundred feet over time, via a series of stairs. Along the way you see various displays, monuments, and carvings (carved from the salt). We took an elevator up, when leaving the mine.

• Totally agree with Sam. When we took Warsaw/Budapest/Vienna/Prague years ago the salt mine was included. Something I would not like to have missed. We did not have dinner there. We just visited during the day.

• edited May 2022

We took the regular tour, but there was a big amount of Jewish heritage anyway, including our visit to Auschwitz. Mark our TD gave us full history of the Jewish faith during some of the bus rides which I found fascinating. If I recall, there is free time to visit some of the Jewish sites on the tour anyway. Talking with Mark made us want or go on the Israel and Jordan tour.
    Sadly, no salt mine on our tour…..but then I’m supposed to have a low salt diet 😀

• Hello Chicago Travelers. We'll be on the same tour September 24th with another couple. Did the unfortunate war in Ukraine effect your group? Thanks

• Had dinner in the salt mines. Great time. This was the River Cruise/Berlin/Krakow back when it first started.

• Hi Chicagoans - Did you perchance have Radu as your TD? He's excellent! We took this tour shortly before covid. I'm a former Lincoln Parker, lived at 438 Webster for a while, then various spots in Sheffield. Love Evanston, too.

• Hello travelers! We are leaving on the Waesaw, Budapest, Vienna, and Prague tour on Sept 16. Can someone who has traveled on this tour this past May tell us how the war in Ukraine has affected this tour? Thank you!

• People say it hasn’t

• British, you are correct. As mentioned, I just returned from Romania and Hungary. The war did not interrupt the tour whatsoever. While on your tour, you wouldn’t even know a war was going on although it’s in the back of everyone’s minds. There is always access to the news too. Enjoy your vacation. We hear more about the war here than we did while traveling.

• I grew up in Evanston. The best place in the world! We are doing the Savoring France trip this June. I hope Shirene is on our trip!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file