Options

Restaurant Recommendations for Athens Greece

Would love to receive lunch and dinner restaurant recommendations for Athens Greece for when we are on our own time. Thank you.

Comments

• Options

I have a few snack tips. I was having trouble finding spanakopita, until I realized bakeries and coffee shops sell big slabs; about 4 euros, easily a tasty lunch for 2. Also check out the bakeries specializing in every flavor of baklava imaginable. Enjoy!

• Options

There are plenty of places to eat near the hotel and streets leading to Syntagma Square.

On our free afternoon on Day 2 our TD Sophia took a bunch of us a few blocks from the hotel and pointed out three of her favorite lunch spots. We passed on those, but had a nice Gyro type meal upstairs at a tiny place on Ermou St. just around the corner from and in same building as McDonald's- Mickie D faces Syntagma Sq. like the Grande Bretagne- see Google maps. You can't miss it- there is a guy slicing Gyro meat from the spit right at the door where they sell take-away (and option if you want to people watch on the square.) Behind him was the small kitchen and a narrow stairway to the second floor where there were 6 - 8 tables. It was very good, honest food. I felt sorry for the waiter- he had to continually go up and down the steep stairs!

In the packet you get upon check-in will be a 2+ page list of suggested places to eat. I can possibly photograph and post it here but it won't mean much without a recommendation from someone who actually ate there. If, however, you want the best seat in town, eat at the Grande Bretagne, roof-top restaurant (where you have breakfast each morning on Days 1 - 3 in Athens.) You can't beat the view!! We didn't go out in town for dinner because we arrived late- got there just in time for the Welcome Dinner, and got a free dinner on Day 2 from the hotel because of "issues." :D

• Options

Just saw this -- Thanks Alan -- we'll check out the gyros there!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file