Options

Free time in Vienna

I will be taking this tour soon. We have a free day in Vienna (though there is an opportunity to sit in on an orchestra rehearsal). Does the boat dock within walking distance of the central area (Stephansdom and surrounds) or will we have to be shuttled to that area? If the latter, how often do the shuttles run?

Comments

• Options

If you mean the Ringstrasse no it doesn't. About a 20 minute bus ride as I recall. There were shuttle buses though. When we were there there were 3 Tauck ships in port all together so the shuttles worked for all.

• Options

The Innere Stadt is a bus ride from the Danube where the boats dock. St Stephens on the east half of the Innerestadt but still a long walk from the river. Tauck typically runs buses on a schedule from the boat to the Albertinaplatz which is on the southeast side of the Albertina. The bus route and stop are always subject to change.

• Options

Thanks, Claudia & Alan. Do you remember how early the first shuttle bus left the docking area? Thinking about booking some walking tours.

• Options

Sorry, can't help with that.

• Options

The cruise I was on was the Budapest to Amsterdam one so our daily itinerary may be different than yours. Shuttles weren't an all day thing. In the morning we were given the option of a tour of the Schonbrunn Palace or the Hofburg leaving the ship at 9am. Then you could return to the ship or stay in town. There was one shuttle that went back to Walfischgasse (near the Hofburg) at 2:30 and ones returning from there at 2:30, 3:30 and 4:30.

• Options

Thanks, Claudia. That's very helpful. I've been to Vienna a couple of times before, so I've seen the palaces and the usual tourist sites, so I figure I'll wander around on my own on this trip.

• Options

MCD
    5:54AM
    Thanks, Claudia. That's very helpful. I've been to Vienna a couple of times before, so I've seen the palaces and the usual tourist sites, so I figure I'll wander around on my own on this trip.

The "book" we received several years ago for Blue Danube showed the mornings and some afternoons were quite full with walking, etc. excursions throughout our 3 days in Vienna. Unfortunately, it did not show the shuttle bus schedule. Give Tauck a call, they will typically have a rough if not the actual daily schedules for the visit and may even the shuttle bus schedule.

• Options

I have photos of all the daily issued schedules for our tour which is where I got the times for the tours and shuttles. As most know, things can change the daily timings of activities that even Tauck HQ can't predict.

• Options
    edited July 2022

We’ve visited the Spanish Riding School in Vienna several times…a wonderful demonstration of these magnificent Lipizzaner stallions. It’s possible to reserve on line…we loved seeing them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file