Options

Water level in Danube in 2019

Does anyone have a reliable link to check the water level on the Danube (or other rivers)? I'm having trouble finding anything current.

Thanks.
Linda

Comments

• Options

This is the one I've used in the past. http://rivercruiseinfo.com/content/river-levels
    Also for general info a links to some other companies websites for current conditions https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/water-levels/
    I'm not seeing any problems anywhere. Even if low that doesn't necessarily mean it impacts your cruise. The river ships need very little water underneath them. And I know from experience this last June that Tauck does an awesome job minimizing any effects.

• Options
    edited July 2019

I’m on the Rhine. We met a couple who’s tour was cancelled last year because of water levels, they got their money back and able to book a tour this year with Tauck at last year’s prices. They felt they were treated well.

• Options

Were were on Tauck-Danube in 2017. Due to low levels on the danube, were wee bussed from Budapest on the first leg of the cruise The TD's took excellent care of us and we saw everything we expected. This is a first class organization and you are in good hands

• Options

We were on the Blue Danube cruise in mid-May. The issue then was heavy rain upstream and too-high water levels. We got stopped at Engelharszell westbound and took the coach from there to Prague instead of from Vilshofen. Tauck handled it well of course and we missed only a few hours of daylight cruising, which would have been sad had it been nice enough to be on the Sundeck, but not so much in the rain.

No doubt that issue is now long gone.

• Options

We were on the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise October 2019 and experienced very low river levels. We had to change ships twice but as usual Tauck handled it seamlessly. Tauck is the best!

• Options

eleonore, 9:36AM. We were on the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise October 2019 and experienced very low river levels. We had to change ships twice but as usual Tauck handled it seamlessly. Tauck is the best!

You mean October 2018? :)

• Options

Have water levels on the the Rhine affected riverboat travel.. We will be going in September?

• Options

Yes, in the past they have. Tauck will bus you to another ship if that happens to get you past the shallow water parts. It might be good to follow the heat and or rainfall in the area. Right now in Europe, it’s so hot, the snow should be melting everywhere to compensate for the evaporation of the river water.

• Options

Sadly the link I posted back in 2019 no longer works. There is an article from 15 Jul 22 that yes, currently water levels are low but not yet impacting cruises.

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/NicheLuxury/articles/River-Cruise-Lines-Prepare-to-Deal-with-Low-Water-Levels-on-the-Rhine

If you don't want to open the link, here is what it says re Tauck river cruises:

"Tauck’s river cruises have yet to be impacted—a spokesperson told TMR that it is currently operating normally on the river. However, the company is monitoring the situation, but how it would respond to a low-level situation depends on where it takes place.

“Our goal is to always do right by our guests while doing all that we can to preserve their travel experience. Like other river cruise lines, we’ve dealt successfully with low-water situations in the past, and we have a variety of strategies that we can deploy as necessary,” the spokesperson said.

Tauck, unlike some other lines, is also operating land tours in the area, which could come in handy should river sailings be thwarted by low levels.

“We’re very fortunate that we also operate numerous land tours throughout the region, so we have a fantastic network of local supplier-partners that we can leverage as necessary should alternate arrangements become necessary.”

We had a ship swap back in 2019 due to a lock being damaged. Tauck handled it very well. Ex: instead of arriving in Nurnburg after lunch on the ship, they put us on buses in the morning, gave us 20 euros each to get lunch on our own, then our afternoon tours went ahead as planned. Ultimately we did have to swap ships but Tauck and the crews were great.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file