Options

Touring Old Town Reykjavik

Touck notes that on day 1 there is a tour of Old Town.
How comprehensive is this? Do you cover all the Architectural Landmarks in depth?
Or are they all viewed with brief commentary from the bus?
Thanks all.

Comments

• Options

When I took the tour in 2021 the Old Town tour was closer to 'brief commentary from the bus' vs 'cover all the Architectural Landmarks in depth'.

We had lunch in the Harpa, toured 'in depth' Hallgrimskirkja and Perlan Museum and got brief commentary on other things within Reykjavik. On the way to boarding the boat we stopped for a tour of the grounds of the President's house.

We visited other things within Reykjavik on our own the day prior to the tour starting.

• Options

I am currently on this tour. Everything Smiling Sam says was still correct for July 2023, except we did not stop on the way to the ship from the Perlan Museum.

• Options

I think the stop at the President’s house on the way to the ship was a Covid thing. It allowed groups to show up at the ship, get their Covid checks, and checkin in a distributed timeline. I don’t think that’s a requirement any longer.

• Options

Thanks Wayside and Smiling Sam for taking time out to respond. Decided on touring the beautiful South Coast on the morning we get in.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Stellie - Touring the South Coast sounds great, as long as you get to Iceland early enough. When we did the tour in June of 2021 Iceland was still imposing a 4 hour Covid quarantine. Upon arrival you had to take a Covid test at the airport and then quarantine in your hotel for a minimum of 4 hours waiting for the results to get communicated. That didn’t leave enough time for a long tour to the South Coast.

• Options

I was in Iceland last summer; all Covid restrictions had been lifted earlier in 2022, and I think that is still the case. Private companies are free to impose restrictions of course. I remember some museums in Reykjavik had signs saying masks were encouraged, but I saw very few people wearing masks.

• Options

MarketArt - Yes the Covid restrictions have been lifted. I took the tour at the end of June, 2021.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file