Options

Footwear for trip

I'll be taking this trip in a few weeks. Will Skechers (good thick rubber soles) be sufficient on the Giant's Causeway or should I take my Merrell's, too?

Comments

• Options

I think I just wore my vionic sneakers. Didn't pack my Merrells for that tour. It's a big area and up to you how much you tackle of it. You walk down a roadway ( or can ride a shuttle bus) from the visitor center then just stroll around and explore. Some areas may be wet, others not.

• Options

No need for hiking shoes, but you may want to consider getting some waterproof shoes. It's the frequent rain showers that make it the Emerald Isle.

• Options

We just came back from the large group Ireland tour. Regular sneakers are fine for all of the activities. If you are worried about the rain, a second pair of shoes would be more valuable than heavy duty hiking boots unless they are waterproof and you are comfortable using them all the time.

• Options

As long as they are waterproof, they will be ok. We tend to take our waterproof KEEN TARGHEE 3 sneakers when we travel to Europe -- both for the waterproof factor and they are so supportive on cobblestone, etc. They work great in rain & snow. Probably similar to your Merrill's

• Options

While a few people on our recent Best of Ireland tour did in fact wear hikers such as Merrill’s I’d say it was overkill but then I guess it depends on how much support you need and how tender-footed you are. If you intend on climbing around on the rocky beach at Giant’s Causeway and/or tend to have a problem with cobblestone streets, maybe hikers are a safe bet for those instances but overall they wouldn’t be needed. As far as needing waterproof shoes, we only encountered one day of light rain during our 2-week tour so don’t bet on needing them.

• Options

I took lightweight hiking boots to Switzerland and the climb down from Gornergrat with them was a pain with them because it was so rocky. Every time my foot tilted on the rocks the top of the boot dug into my ankle. Really wished I'd just worn my sneakers.

• Options

Thanks, everyone. I'll plan on taking a couple of pairs of Skechers. (I have them in several colors!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file