Options

Suggestions for things to see and do with extra time in Tokyo and Kyoto?

My wife and I are scheduled for the November 2 Essence of Japan Tour. This is our first trip to Asia. We have few questions for those who have already done the Tour or otherwise spent time in Japan. We’ll arrive 3 days early in Tokyo and have 3 days in Kyoto after the tour ends. Any recommendations on what to see or do with our extra time? We thought it would be interesting to see Kabuki in Tokyo and to do some walking tours: maybe Yanaka (Old Town), Shinjuku (at night), Shibuya area, Senso-ji Temple, and Imperial Palace grounds? With our extra time in Kyoto, we thought a day trip to Nara would be fun. Other possibilities we identified are the Arashiyama District, Sagano Scenic RR, and Ginkakuji Temple. We welcome your comments and suggestions. Thank you
PS. Should I pack a coat and tie?

Comments

• Options

We took this trip 2018 and loved it. We arrived one day early in Tokyo and since our trip ended in Tokyo we stayed one day after. Our time in Kyoto was limited to Tauck's itinerary On our first night in Tokyo we found a shabu shabu restaurant near our hotel and for our next day before the welcome dinner we walked to the Nippon fish market that was then located in the city and had wonderful sushi before walking around that area and the Ginza.

On our return to Tokyo we explored both Shinjuku (at night), Shibuya area, both are easy subway rides once you figure out how to use the system. In Shibuya we visited the "shrine" to Hachi, a dog who waited patiently daily at the railroad station for his master to return even years after his master's death. If you like dogs, this is a must do, and be sure to rent the movie "Hachi, a dog". Be prepared with tissues. I think the Shibuya district is also home to a kitchen accessories area which is wonderful for buying sushi food magnets, souvenirs and inexpensive kitchen ceramics

Senso-ji Temple was included on our tour so we didn't visit it on our own.

We never needed to "dress up" even for our outrageously priced Waygu steak dinner on our own, but my husband always travels with his sportcoat, and I always have my trusty black slacks and tops. Hve fun

• Options

Did this trip this past April. If you want to see Kabuki in Tokyo, try to get the tickets online before you go. Just Google it and the National Theatre will come up so you can check the performance schedule. You can purchase your seats online, and then pick up the tickets downstairs below the entrance to the theater. It was a fabulous experience!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file