Options

Portrait of India - foreign exchange

According to Google, non-residents (of India) are not allowed to bring Rupees into the country. I planned to change a small amount of money here to avoid needing the airport ATM on arrival. Chase bank doesn't carry Rupees, so I looked on-line where to buy them, and saw the Google comment. Plan B... I'll seek out the (bank) ATM at the airport before meeting our guide.....Didn't see anything on this in the information package, so wondering if it's accurate. Not totally ready, but really excited about the trip.

Comments

• Options

Suzy800 I used my ATM at the airport to exchange cash for a few rupees. You do not need much rupees. They were good to have when the TD had vendors come onto the coach to sell their merchandise (trust me--you will appreciate that gesture!)

The airport process was easy and very convenient. I'll be doing this exact task in the next 24hours...countdown to India...NOW :)

• Options
    edited December 2023

It's also good to have a number of small bills for tipping restroom attendants if the TD isn't around to cover it. Rupees can be hard to exchange, so either give any leftovers to the TD as part of his gratuity or dump them in a charity box at the airport as you leave.

• Options

I carried about $15 or 1200 rupees on me at all times in SMALL BILLS no larger than 50 rupees . I used my rupees for on street purchases and tips. While on the tour one does need small bills periodically ESPECIALLY FOR THE ELEPHANT RIDE. I purchased my rupees which I replenished once from the front desk conceirge. The conversion rates for my small needs were provided at a fair exchange rate at every hotel I changed my US bills for rupees.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file