Options

Internet and Packing questions for those who have gone on the Essence of Japan tour

Hello!

I read about the internet on the website but what was the experience in real life? What can I do to have internet? Will my phone work for it if I have data?

Also-

On the itinerary it says, "We recommend that you pack lightly for your trip to Japan, as there is very little room for luggage aboard the trains and you will pack an overnight bag for Day 5. The balance of your luggage will be transported by luggage truck and there will be no access to the remainder of your luggage for those two nights." **What was your experience with this in reality? ** I plan to pack lightly and have a hard case roller bag that's pretty small and a roomy day pack.

Comments

• Options

We went to Japan in September, it was not with Tauck and we traveled to some more remote areas but we still had internet. Six times we had to just have an overnight backpack, two of those times were for two nights. It was easy..
    All the hotels provide pajamas and Yukatas which in most cases you can go to dinner in your Yukata. Also, every hotel provided everything from razors, hairbrushes, toothbrushes etc etc.
    There really is nowhere to put big bags on the local or the Shinkansen trains….those trains barely stop, you have to be ready to get on and off quickly which is why they are always on time.
    Japan, my favorite country

• Options

• Options

Only been able to quickly find this photo. We had to change quickly before dinner. Some of the people just put on their black happy coats on, we rushed and put our yukatas on.

• Options

Japan is a first world country. You should have Internet access in all of the hotels. I use ATT DayPass and that gives me full phone and Internet access in Japan, just as if I was at home. If someone calls me, my phone will ring while I'm in Japan and the people calling me won't have any idea where I am. That can be good and bad with the time difference.

You can always get a SIM card for your phone that will give you service in Japan.

• Options

I went on the Essence of Japan tour last April. Internet in all the hotels was great. I forgot to “ unlock” my international data so my WiFi on my iPhone did not work outside of hotels. I just rented a local WiFi mini hub in Tokyo and all was well. Just check with your provider before you go. As far as the overnight bag, just have something small with you for overnight stuff. I packed a mini kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, minor make up and a brush for those nights. I used a small, under the seat rolling bag that expands to a 22” carryon, which was very helpful on the way home. Enjoy the trip, it is action packed!

• Options

I went on this trip last March. AT&T day pass is great. I was able to call and text USA. I was able to watch Netflix on the coach ride. Friends, relatives and business associates were able to get hold of me without noticing that I am in bed and they are up and awake due to time zone changes. Such is not the case with Croatia and Portugal.

A standard carry on and large check in luggage would work. Make sure you have a small toiletry bag. A lot of people including myself have bought a lot of souvenirs so the check in luggage was heavy. Don't forget a small foldable umbrella and light sweater. It was wet with pouring rain for 2 days.

Agreed with many, this is a wonderful and action packed trip. Make sure you have the strength and agility if you have a heavy carry on. Bulletin train does not wait for slow moving passengers.

• Options

Marla, what brand bag fits under the seat and expands to 22 inches. Sounds pretty good.

• Options

Hi Debi, the bag is from Biaggi. You can get it online. They have various sizes. Very lightweight nylon with four wheels!! Mine is the under seat bag that has a top expansion. It’s perfect for overnight. Marla

• Options

Thank you for the info, Marla.

• Options

That’s the original Biaggi bag I got., I love that one. The larger ones were a disaster, I sent them to Goodwill.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file