Options

Does tour include a visit to the Arizona memorial

Was checking out the itinerary for thus trip and noticed itinerary includes a visit to the USS Missouri Battleship Memorial but no visit to the Arizona memorial. If this is right, is the memorial close by (walking distance) from the Royal Hawaiian hotel that we could do on our own?

Comments

• Options

I'm not sure what you're asking. The battleship Arizona memorial is built over the sunken battleship. I don't know of any other "Arizona memorial".

We took that trip in 2020. You can see pictures of our visit to the memorial at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2020-1Hawaii-02.htm

• Options

And to be more specific, it is not within walking distance from the Royal Hawaiian hotel. They are about 12 miles apart.

• Options

we have never done Hawaii with Tauck but have gone on our own many times. The buses are easy to use if you have the time, if no, there are taxis and ubers. If I recall, the best way to see the Arizona is with the navy tour which takes you directly onto the monument. Check it out

• Options

You are talking about two different locations- The Pearl Harbor National Memorial and the ferry to the Arizona Memorial are on the east side of Pearl Harbor. The Battleship Missouri Memorial is pier-side on Ford Island across the harbor from the Pearl Harbor Memorial and the ferry to the Arizona Memorial. While the Arizona Memorial itself is close to Ford Island there is no dock or ferry to get to it from Ford Island. Google it and look at the map. As Sam says Pearl Harbor is miles from Waikiki and the Royal Hawaiian

• Options

We just did this recently while staying at the Hale Koa. There is a city bus that will drop you right at the Arizona Memorial site where you take a boat to the memorial. You should buy tickets in advance online for the Memorial. From that site there is a shuttle bus that will take you to the Missouri. No need for advance purchase there. Talk to the concierge about the buses. The ‘good’ bus goes to the Memorial and back more or less directly. The ‘bad’ bus goes via the airport, and it is a much longer ride. If you are in a hurry, do Uber, but the bus is pretty easy. The hotel will probably try to sell you a tour to those sites, but that is expensive and totally unnecessary. We were about to do that when someone at the Hale Koa headed us off and said, go across the street and take bus number (x). You will save a lot of money.

• Options

I took the "good" bus to Pearl Harbor when staying at the Royal Hawaiian. It stops about 2 blocks away and in 2022 cost under $3 each way. (Can't remember whether it was $2.25 or $2.75.). Our Tauck tour did include the Arizona Memorial, so I spent my "alone" day at Pearl Harbor touring the Bowfin submarine, the USS Missouri and the Aviation Museum of the Pacific. I'm wondering why the Tauck tour doesn't include the Arizona Memorial now. It was very moving. Perhaps they're doing some reconstruction work on the Memorial.

• Options

I am on this trip right now. We went to Pearl Harbor today. Our Tauck Director explained the difficulty of obtaining large tour group tickets for the Arizona Memorial. It is now a lottery system. She said we could try to get single tickets. Many in our group were able to do so since we arrived very early. The rest of us visited a movie about the attack and other exhibits. Then we all went to the Missouri for a self guided tour that lasted about 1.5 hours.

• Options

Many years ago, Oahu/Honolulu had "TheBus" For a single, modest fare you could circle the island and even get off and back on at any number of stops as long as you continued in the same CW or CCW direction. It appears they still have something similar, though the specifics have changed. I believe if you get a Holo card, once you reach the $7.50 day pass rate (2.5 trips), due to 'fare capping,' you automatically earn a day pass and can continue to ride free for the remainder of the day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file