Options

Switzerland - Europe’s Crown Jewel - Sept 2024

Looking forward to our Sept 2024 trip. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for the free time listed on the itinerary. Day 2 in Gruyeres, Day 3 after the Matterhorn Museum, Day 5 in Lugano free afternoon and evening, Day 8 in Interlaken, and Day 10 in Lucerne. I appreciate any suggestions or tips to make our trip even better than I expect.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 18

We did that tour in 2023. My only recommendation has to do with the visit to the Jungfraujoch. They take you into the ice cave (Ice Palace) and the ice bar. The floor is ice and very slippery. There are slip on things for your shoes that are designed to give you better traction on ice and they're about $20. These were discussed in another thread and on my blog at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2023-2Switzerland-03.htm#IcePalace

They will improve your experience and safety in the Ice Palace and Ice Bar.

[Edit for spelling]

• Options

Thank you, Mike. I have read your interesting blog! Looks like a great trip. Did you find yourself with much free time? The other Tauck trips we have taken didn’t appear to have as much down time as this one.

• Options

On a different Tauck tour we loved visiting the Lion Monument in Lucerne and strolling around the little lake. If your tour doesn't take you there, I suggest that. We found Lucerne to be so lovely that we stayed in town and strolled through the side streets.

• Options

This was one of our favorite trips. We went in 2021 and I must agree with Mike that there were times when I felt very uncomfortable as I was afraid that I would fall on the ice.
    I am in my early seventies and the last thing any of us need is to fall.

• Options

We did this trip in September, 2019 and I honestly don’t remember a lot of free time. It was one of our favorite trips and our guide, Mark Helbig, was outstanding. He took us to see the Lion Monument in Lucerne. We didn’t schedule any additional activities and found ourselves meandering around the beautiful towns during any free time we had.

• Options

We took the tour in Sep 2021 and I wrote an overview and a detailed day by day of our experience. It's posted in the Switzerland: Europe's Crown Jewel category list. It's titled 28 Aug - Classic Tour review.

https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/15129/28-aug-classic-tour-review#latest

Lotusgirl and MikeHenderson also wrote reviews worth reading.

• Options

As Claudia Sails states, we took this tour in September of last year, and I posted a trip report. We did make use of our free time, as you can read. Reading through the previous posts on this forum was very helpful for my pre-trip research.

If you have specific questions, I would be happy to answer them. It is a wonderful tour.

• Options

Thank you, Claudia. I have carefully read your day by day. Very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to write it!

• Options

Thank you, Lotusgirl for your trip itinerary, too. I had already read all three….Mike’s, Claudia’s, and yours. I appreciate all of the info and the time it took you all to write them. Can’t wait for our trip in Sept!

• Options

You're welcome. It's why I bother doing the reviews. I'm very detailed oriented and want to know all sorts of details about tours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file