Options

excursions on day 5

We are trying to decide between the choice of excursion on Day 5 between museums of D-day in Caen or the tour of the city of Entretat. Any info or recommendations from fellow travelers. Would like to do both but of course that is not possible.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options

What are your interests? They were both memorable for us. Étretat with its white cliffs is breathtaking; the WWII memorial is poignant. Only you can decide which suits you the best.

• Options

Did this trip in '22. Entretat is lovely. Can not go wrong choosing to visit.

• Options

Thanks for both or your comments. As much as I want to see the cliffs at Entretat and the lovely city, we are leaning towards the WWII memorial at this time. I think it will give us an insight into the D-day invasion before we actually go to the battlegrounds and the cemetery. Both by father and my husband's father served in WW II. I have a friend whose father is buried at the cemetery and hope I can find his grave. Sure wish we could do both.

• Options

You could try "googling" the cemetery for a link to their gravesite locator which may help.

• Options

There is no 'N' in Étretat. Just clarifying.

• Options

The visit to the cemetery, where u can look down from the stone wall, onto the beach a view the German machine gunners had on our troops. It gave this old Marine a 'chill'. So glad my wife and I visited.

• Options

Just to clear things up a bit, the Day 5 itinerary is either the Caen Memorial & Bayeux Tapestry OR Etretat & Honfleur. Day 6 is the all day D-day Beaches, cemetery, Pointe Hoc, and Omaha beach. We've done all those sights on different Tauck tours.

The Caen Memorial is actually a very extensive museum about the war. Their website gives you a better idea of what it will be about (https://www.memorial-caen.com/museum/). Fascinating information though often hard to read the signage on the displays as the font in English in tiny. Bring a magnifying glass. The Bayeux Tapestry is good though mainly just a chance to see it - all 224 feet. It's about the Norman invasion of England. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

Both Etretat & Honfleur were beautiful and I'd gladly go back to either again. It's basically scenery, some shopping options and outdoor cafes.

Both excursions are excellent just very different in nature. If Tauck is asking now for your choices I wouldn't worry too much as they've always given us a chance to reconfirm once the cruise starts. Might want to wait and see what the weather is. Rainy go to the museums, fair weather stay outdoors.

• Options

I did the "Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley" land tour. We did not visit Etretat or Honfleur, but I very much enjoyed the Caen Memorial museum and seeing the Bayeux Tapestry. (I really like history.)

• Options

I appreciate all your comments. Looking forward to the trip in June.

• Options

I'll be curious to follow this as we booked this trip for May 2025.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file