Options

Essence of Japan in Autumn

Hello All,
I am thinking about taking the Essence of Japan tour in October/November. I was wondering, for those who have been in Japan at that time, if you encountered the beautiful fall colors that you see in photos of Japan?

Also, how was the weather in October/November?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options

I recently was on a tour of Japan from Oct 6 for two weeks. The fall colors had not yet begun. Weather was good with little to no rain.

• Options

October is still typhoon season.

• Options
    edited January 24

Yes, but it is hit or miss. We were there fro three weeks Sept;October with maybe one day of rain

• Options

True, but if you go outside the well-documented typhoon season, it's always miss. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, given other good options.
    I consider a number of factors and probabilities when I book travel. maybe that's why I never buy insurance and have already paid for an extra trip with premiums saved. .

• Options

BKMD. I hope you continue to be lucky. I guess you still get health cover because you are under 65. That will change when you are on Medicare. If you drop dead abroad, will your daughter arrange for transport home or leave you there? It’s very expensive and our family encountered that, so we know it happens.
    We did not have the choice for our Japanese trip but were aware of the typhoon risk. My husband has been there numerals times during that season and only got caught out once for one day. Earthquakes are more of a risk, we have both been there during earthquakes.

• Options

It's kind of you to say, but next month is my second anniversary of Medicare coverage. But I have this picture on the wall that's getting older... :) My secondary coverage (AARP United healthcare plan N) covers up to $50K of international medical care, and I also have coverage through my Chase Sapphire Reserve for both medical and evacuation. Fortunately, I've never needed to use it and as we both travel to a fair number of third world countries, it's something I wouldn't look forward to.

• Options

We are in Japan on the essense trip now. It has been really cold and windy. Bring scarf, hat, long John bottoms, sweater, warm jacket. I have worn two bottom layers and three top layers. Finally warmed up today, but only have 2 more days. Watch the forecasts! Good trip!

• Options

We are having similar weather here Debi. I’ve never had to wear that many clothes except in Patagonia.

• Options

Debi....we are on the April 8th tour and looking at the long range forecast, there seems to be a lot of rain predicted and temps no higher. than the low 60s....I thought early April was prime touring season with mild, great weather!
    Planning to layer up....hopefully the forecast will change.
    Enjoy your last few days.

• Options

Sue M - I think early April is prime touring season, but more for the cherry blossoms than the mild, great weather.

• Options

April showers bring forth the flowers. Yes,just for the blossom season which can vary.

• Options

Forecast for 2024

Tokyo
    Flowering: March 22 / Full bloom: March 29
    Sapporo
    Flowering: April 29 / Full bloom: May 2
    Sendai
    Flowering: April 3 / Full bloom: April 7
    Kanazawa
    Flowering: March 30 / Full bloom: April 5
    Nagoya
    Flowering: March 21 / Full bloom: March 30
    Kyoto
    Flowering: March 24 / Full bloom: March 31
    Osaka
    Flowering: March 25 / Full bloom: April 1
    Hiroshima
    Flowering: March 23 / Full bloom: March 31
    Fukuoka
    Flowering: March 22 / Full bloom: March 30

• Options

We went to Japan before Covid, with Adventures by Disney in mid-October. The weather was very warm (short sleeves) and we did have a Typhoon (level 5). Trees were just starting to turn color, but not much.

• Options

Just returned. The Blossoms are just starting. All the festivals early in the season had no blooms.Drove by posters advertising them for dates before I got there. They say this was the coldest on record for this time of year. Great trip . Mt. Fuji was the shining star this trip. Clear both days, but the wind was fierce on the boat cruise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file