Options

Dinners seating?

I am assuming most of the dinners are western style seating except perhaps the inns?
There is no way I could rise gracefully from the floor if I was wearing a dress or skirt.
Any words of wisdom welcome so as to finalize packing list.
Thank you

Comments

• Options

We sat on low stools or seats, there was nowhere we were asked to sit on the floor.

• Options

At Tobira Onsen last year, we were either kneeling or crossing our legs on the floor. It was not that comfortable.

By the way, there is no shame to ask for a low stool if you have special needs. I think one or two people did.

Every one has to change into Japanese clothes. Western clothes are not allowed in the dining room including shoes. Make sure no dirty or smelly socks.

I think you can ask for Western style meal substitution.I remember one person has shrimp allergy and one person has lactose intolerance. Both of them have special meals throughout.

• Options

Thank you Henry. That is useful information for me, I will try to arise from the floor with a modicum of grace wearing my Yukata.

• Options

We were on this trip in April.
    We sat on regular chairs for dinner at the traditional Japanese hotel, while in our Yukatas.
    But be prepared to sleep very near the floor on tatami mats.
    We were asked if we wanted our "beds" elevated"- but we found out, that meant they put down two mats instead of one....not a big difference.

• Options

Sue M, would you please elaborate a little more about sleeping on tatami mats. Obviously, many people taking this tour are not exactly young, like myself, so I am wondering just how well they handled this situation. Also, would you please share your overall feeling about taking this trip. I've taken 15 tours with Tauck but this will be my first experience traveling to an Asian country.

• Options

We have taken 15 tours also and this is the first time, we felt the tour was more "challenging" than Tauck claimed. For 2024, this trip was rated a 2 in pace and activity. (For. 2025 it has been changed to a rating of 3).
    We greatly enjoyed the trip and found we came away with a great understanding of the Japanese people and their culture,
    But I felt that Tauck did not represent this trip accurately in terms of the activity level.
    With a rating of 2, Tauck states we may have "uneven pavement"- we had more than that....there were hills at times where the ground was rocky and uneven and there were no handrails We were not given notice about this.

As far as sleeping on tatami mats...there were no other choices. When our tour director asked in advance if we wanted our "beds" elevated, we assumed maybe they would be raised to a cot level. Before we got to the hotel, he said everyone's "beds" would be elevated. We were all thrilled.
    But "elevating" just meant doubling the mats. And there was nothing in the room to lean on to help you get up.
    Also, upon entering the hotel, you had to remove your shoes. But not everyone was comfortable walking around in slippers for our entire stay...where your feet can slide out of the slippers.

One other thing that surprised me with Tauck...there was one day where, after lunch we had a walking tour of the Geisha district.
    It was very interesting...but after the tour, we were not given transportation back to the hotel. We were told about this a few days before.
    We were given money and told we had to take a taxi back.
    Not everyone felt comfortable, (especially single travelers) in a foreign country being told they had to take a taxi on their own to return to the hotel.
    Tauck has always given folks the option to be taken back to the hotel or stay in town to shop and find their own way back.
    We were not given the choice.
    When we got home, I called Tauck and spoke to a person in the customer service department.
    Again, most of the tour was wonderful and Tauck does a great job of immersing their guests in the culture.
    I just think that the general itinerary that we read (when booking) did not address the activity level accurately.
    I am sure I was not the only one feeling this way , as for 2025, the tour is now rated a 3.

• Options
    edited May 18

Regarding a taxi, if you take an hotel card with you which has the address on it, just show it to the driver and you will be fine. Japan is a very safe country.
    For getting up off a futon mattress… I assume that is what you mean, not a tatami mat…we do the trick we learned from getting from a kneeling position when we are acting on stage…. Roll over and get into a kneeling position, get onto one knee and then use your hand to push onto the thigh of the other leg to help you get upright. it really helps. We spent six nights in Japanese hotels with futons last year and it was a true Japanese experience. Japan is our most favorite country we have visited with sub Saharan African close second. And we never wear shoes inside our home anyway.

• Options

Currently on the tour and feel it is definitely a 3 for both ratings. Terrific tour just expect to get over 10,000 steps daily without adding on any extra walking. Historic districts and gardens all have uneven ground. Our group has not had any falls but 2 women elected to purchase canes to add that bit of security . Tour director and local guide top notch.

• Options
    edited May 19

To all, I think I have to add my controversial two cents. I am sure I will be blasted by the Tauck Die-hards.

For entertainment purposes, I want to share my opinion: went to Japan with Tauck's Essence of Japan in March 2023 and Abercrombie & Kent South Korea and Japan Korea 2024.

Hotel choices: I found Tauck to be budget oriented compared to Abercrombie & Kent.The Onsen experience with Tauck was miserable in term of the Tatami experience. The blanket was very uncomfortable in addition to an extremely low bidget and toilet. For any tall male, it was extremely difficult to move around the roomat the onsen. I remember not having any sleep that night due to the style and the construction of the room. We were told there were very few Western style rooms available. According to the TD, they should be reserved for the truly mobility limited of whom I found tend to be present more with Tauck than Abercrombie & Kent. In addiiton, The Nikko at Kanazawa was really so-so from my march 2023 tour. Another example: The original hotel in Porto for A Week in Portugal was okay in appearance but somehow for my trip was switched to a stunningly beautiful Maison Albers without a window though. A&K used Park Hyatt and Four Seasons for South Korea and Japan.

People you will be traveling with: I enjoy the sophisicated, well traveled, seasoned, knowledgeable, athletic, laid back Abercrombie & Kent crowd. Every one in my group of 18 was always willing to rotate tables at dinners (Tauck crowd saved tables for their friends just like high school) never fought for the front seats ( Occurred every day at Tauck so seats have to be assigned on the bus), never demanded bathroom breaks (very few scheduled on A&K. Tauck appeared more leisiurely at each spot with frequent time for bathroon. No need to hold bladder with Tauck), enjoyed shopping (Tauck crowd shunned stopping for souvenir breaks) and never unwilling to go along with the group without being self-centered. There is NO BULLYING AROUND with A&K! There were some truly obnoxious folks at my last Tauck Trip A Week in Portugal that prompted me to try out Abercrombie & Kent.

Slipper in Japan: Regarding slippers, the A&K TD was able to make exceptions on occasions. None of the hotel involves removing slippers or have the slippers off for extended period of time. Also, if one feels uncomfortable doing certain activities, the A&K people will excuse themselves ( something unheard of at Tauck. The whole week at Tauck felt like a fraternity rush week for the Porugal trip. Every one is watching what every one else is doing. No variation. It did not even feel like a vacation.)To all those Tauck folks, don't forget not removing your shoes in Japan is considered highly disrespectful of their culture. Big no-no for those looking to immerse in their culture.

Easy to break away from the group: It is so easy to break away from the group which a lot of people did with A&K scheduling private excursions, meeting with friends and acquaintances for dinner in Korea or Japan or simply skipping climbing a narrow ladder at the sake brewery. It is totally okay not with the group 24/7. At the end, it is a vacation not the fraternity pledge week.

Restaurant choices: A&K food was better than Tauck every meal. Pasta was not served at the farewell dinner and the meals are authentic but not Americanized version. Many raw thing showed up in the menu. In addition, A&K truly respects dietary restrictions.

Itinitary: For the A&K tour, the itinitary was truly challenging with 8 a.m. departure the norm in addition to one day of 6 a.m. departure. Climbing 10,000 steps or more is expected. There were excursions climbing uneven steps or stairs for extended period of time and in the rain and even tunnels and small ladders in tight space. Again, the most mobility limited in this A&K group is probably the fittest compared to those at Tauck. Tauck skipped Bamboo Forest and Torii Gates in Japan due to possible fall risks. A&K went to both sites and it was a stampede. Beautiful, selfie worthy, and famous, Yes! Trample risk, High! The TD and the tour guides were charging forward. So, A&K is for the athletic and well traveled, Tauck not.

Safety and traffic: While no on will mug you, I disagree with Japan being the safest country. There were moments we were pushed onto running traffic due to Mainland Chinese teeny bopper tourists on stampedes. When we were in Korea, there were cars driving on pedestrian streets due to them having special permits. So if you are not agile, it is extremely dangerous. At my last year's Tauck trip, one guy gave the taxi driver in Tokyo the card for Park Hyatt. He was dropped at another Hyatt fifteen miles away. There were multiple incidents at both Korea and Japan, I have to deal with people who do not speak or understand a word of english.

Drawbacks with A&K: The TD changed the excursions at the drop of a hat. A lot of locations were dropped at the last minutes with poor substitutions. A big site was skipped in Korea without an adequate explanation. Everything seems very rushed at each site with some of the local guides not doing much. A much improved voice transmitter was given out at A&K although it was rarely used. The one given from Tauck was very uncomfortale to wear in comparison, look like a cheaper version was used.

Local guides: The local guide did not have much to say at most of the sites. The A&K group did not ask any stupid questions making the local guide speak forever or monopolize the local guide's time(Very irritating and frequently found at Tauck). Every one at A& K see the sites themselves without being handheld. So you can see thesite at your own pace.

City view vs Garden view: Another drawback with A&K, despite a few people claim Tauck is cheap in term of hotel acommodation and food, Tauck pushed A&K into the city view rooms at the Four Seasons Kyoto and claimed all the garden view rooms at the same hotels while BOTH groups were staying at the same time. BIG CHEERS for Tauck. Every one at A&K complained whyTauck got the better rooms.

Overall, these are some of the differences.

• Options
    edited May 19

Structure: A&K: There were days at A&K that soared to unsurpassable heights. There were days that were not for the faint-hearted. I feel like James Bond after the trip. Octopus and eels made multiple appearances at mealtime. A&K is truly for the adventurous.

Day to day activities: Tauck: Good for the first time traveler, every thing is so structured. If you live in NYC, SF or LA, the menu is not that different. A&K Expect the unexpected with frequent changes.Running ahead (most days)or running behind ( one day) schedule despite a well traveled, outgoing and athletic crowd.

The Gion District has very limited parking facility. The big bus with Tauck simply cannot get into some very tight spaces.I heard theTauck group has 23 and A&K has 18. Last year,Tauck group has 21.Any body think 23 or 24 is too many?

Since Japan is a safe country, it won't be difficult to walk back to the hotel to truly immerse in the culture, Right?

Summary: At A&K, every thing is so stylish and over the top but I never for once felt that I have MOTHER hold my hands feeling very well taken care of like a toddler as with Tauck.

• Options

Gosh, did I miss the remainder of 2024? Henry, I’m totally confused by your post.

• Options

Wrong year, still jet lag.

• Options

I am confused. What has portugal got to do with the comparison of two Japan tours?

• Options

henrypoon_66 - I enjoy the sophisicated, well traveled, seasoned, knowledgeable, athletic, laid back Abercrombie & Kent crowd.

Does A&K not have a Forum? Not sure why you feel compelled to convey your thoughts about A&K to the people here on the Tauck Forum that you feel are not up to your standards.

People you will be traveling with: I enjoy the sophisicated, well traveled, seasoned, knowledgeable, athletic, laid back Abercrombie & Kent crowd. Every one in my group of 18 was always willing to rotate tables at dinners (Tauck crowd saved tables for their friends just like high school) never fought for the front seats ( Occurred every day at Tauck so seats have to be assigned on the bus), never demanded bathroom breaks (very few scheduled on A&K. Tauck appeared more leisiurely at each spot with frequent time for bathroon. No need to hold bladder with Tauck), enjoyed shopping (Tauck crowd shunned stopping for souvenir breaks) and never unwilling to go along with the group without being self-centered. There is NO BULLYING AROUND with A&K! There were some truly obnoxious folks at my last Tauck Trip A Week in Portugal that prompted me to try out Abercrombie & Kent.

Again, not sure why you feel compelled to post stuff like the above on a Tauck Forum?

• Options

I’m not sure why henrypoon is here either. He obviously prefers A&K, but why is he trying to get the Tauck people who he does not like to move over to A&K? Does he work for A&K? He sounds like a “Yelp” person. Perhaps one thing did not meet his expectations, and that made the whole trip bad. Personally, I have read all of the henrypoon posts that I need to read … off my list.

• Options

Ellen Shamrell, glad to hear that you are enjoying your tour. Once you return home, would you share your overall evaluation of the hotels, food and itinerary. Thank you and safe travels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file