Options

Question about currency

We are booked on the Budapest to the Black Sea river cruise in a couple of months (June/July). I have a question for those who have been on this tour or have been in the area recently.

Each country except for Croatia which uses the Euro has a different currency. Hungry uses the Forint, Romania uses the Leu, Serbia uses the Dinar and Bulgaria uses the Lev. Did you find the need for any of the local currencies? I don’t foresee us needing to buy much during any of the excursions but there may be a time when we want to buy a bottle of water or some small inexpensive items. Did you find that Euros were accepted or were credit cards accepted at some of the smaller merchants?

We are arriving in Budapest a day early and will want to do some exploring on our own. I have heard that we should try some Kürtőskalács (Hungarian chimney cake) and some Lángos (Hungarian fried bread). These are probably street food type items so credit cards may not be the best to use. We do have a fair amount of Euros left over from previous trips.

Comments

• Options

Some places will accept euros or dollars if you don't have their currency (but don't count on it)

If all you want is some coffee, pastry , etc. I would get $20-25 in the local currency from an atm. Any small change that you get in change from your purchases can be given to charity at the airport as you leave for home. Most airports in Europe have collection boxes in the terminal

Have a good trip

• Options

I was also on this trip not too long ago. We did not use all the different local currencies. We used euros and credit cards. Plus on that trip, while in Romania, I stocked up on my favorite lotions and potions. It was a very good exchange rate. I also needed a cortisone eyedrop which would have been a prescription here. It was less than $5.00 in Romania.

• Options

Stocking up on Hungarian Paprika is on the top of my shopping list in Budapest at the Grand Market. The bag I purchased 9 years ago has long since been used up. :'(

• Options

When I went on this trip in 2016 I purchased, ahead of time, a small amount of each currency from my local bank or you can try an ATM in the specific country. Check with your TD. I purchased about $20 US for each country. I used the currency for postcards, local stamps, etc. Anything left over, I saved as a souvenir for my scrapbook. I enjoy collecting different currencies, postcards and stamps from around the world. The currency is colorful and interesting. I couldn't get one of the currencies, so I remember giving a store clerk a US dollar and asked if he would exchange it for his local currency, a couple of coins. It worked out for him, I think I received 30 cents worth of coins which worked for my purpose. This is one of my favorite cruises, so interesting. I love Eastern Europe.

• Options
    edited April 27

SueMS.. I bought paprika at the market in Budapest, 2016, for myself and brother-in-law. He still has a little and it is fragrant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file