I have been fortunate in being able to secure most of my international flights over the past 10+ years with points: United, AMEX or AVIOS. Have never had a problem until recently.
For my Tauck Morocco trip in November 2020, I booked business class tickets from NYC to Lisbon with United points (TAP Flights). The return flights from Morocco to NYC (via Lisbon) were booked with AMEX points. A month ago, I changed the trip from November 2020 to November 2021. I did not want to wait until Tauck cancelled because I was extremely limited in when I could go in 2021 and availability for 1 room/ 1 person was very limited. The Tauck rep could not have been kinder or more professional in making the switch. Even though the pricing was a bit higher, they did not request further deposits. The outgoing flights with United points were easily cancelled: points returned within minutes!! Not so easy with the returning flights! I have spent many hours on hold - only to have the calls disconnected. I have called AMEX multiple times without success. Even though I am a platinum card holder, AMEX will not intercede in helping me reschedule the flights, get vouchers for future TAP flights or refund my points. I keep calling to no avail. Currently there are NO flights between Morocco and Lisbon (the 1st leg of the trip) so I keep trying. I’m frustrated!! I am losing faith in AMEX points. Any suggestions??