The GEM opening

2»

Comments

• This event has been tracked on the Forum for years. I thought I'd post the latest (Estimated opening late-2023). How many times have we seen something like this? :D

• The GEM is already open (sort of - very limited access). They are currently having a "soft" opening with limited tours of the building, although none of the galleries are included. The stated purpose is to "test site readiness and the visitor experience." I'm guessing that means that the gift shop will be open to take your money. :)

Tickets may be bought here:
    https://visit-gem.com/en/home

Personally, I'm not booking a trip to Egypt until I've seen that all of the museum has opened.

• Ken - Personally, I'm not booking a trip to Egypt until I've seen that all of the museum has opened.

Good plan. I hope you're still alive when that happens. :D

• We are going on October 29 this year and will keep our fingers crossed that it will be opened.

• Smiling Sam
    July 2021

GEM opening scheduled for one week after AlanS's tour concludes, whenever that is! :D

Obviously, just kidding.

We've been back for a year now. You were off by just a smidge! :D:D:D

As I said in a post back then, regardless of its appearance, the website Sam is referencing is not the official GEM website

• Calling it the GEM was a fitting name, considering how long it takes for gems to form...

• According to website,
    Grand Egyptian Museum
    Estimated opening: Late-2023

• Our trip begins November 19, 2023 so still hoping it will be open then but the way they keep postponing the opening we’re not getting our hopes up.

• The Gem has had a ‘soft’ opening, you can only go into the courtyard at present

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file