Options

GEM Update

I have been remiss checking on the status of the GEM. I have been less motivated because I know it won't be open when we go. That being said and as I predicted, it is looking more and more like the opening will be coincident with the 100th anniversary of the discovery of Tut's Tomb.

A 14 Jan 2022 ABC News article https://abcnews.go.com/International/egypt-mark-centenary-tutankhamun-tomb-discovery-inaugurating-lavish/story?id=82247869 stated, "Egypt said the best way to mark the centenary of Tutankhamun tomb's discovery would be inaugurating a new state-of-the-art museum later this year to house the ancient boy king's vast treasures. . . . .'If the coronavirus-related conditions are stable, then the (museum's) opening would be in the second half of the year,' Egypt's antiquities and tourism minister Khaled el-Anany told ABC News . . . . 'We will be ready by the middle of this year … but we want to make sure that our guests can arrive in large numbers. We aim to invite presidents and kings from all over the world,' el-Anany said."

In other news, "El-Anany told ABC News that Egypt plans to announce another significant discovery in February or March, which he said will 'capture the world's attention.' However, he refused to disclose further details."

The Egypt Daily News reported today, "About 99% of construction work in the Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM) has been completed, according to Atef Moftah, the General Supervisor of the GEM project."

Comments

• Options

We will be in Cairo with Tauck one-week before November 4, 2022 (100th anniversary date). Arghh!!! Maybe they'll have a soft opening earlier? We can only hope.

• Options

We will be in Cairo about a month before that November 4th date. 😩

• Options
    edited January 2022

I have been hoping for a soft opening as well, but from everything I've seen so far, that won't happen.

They don't want details to come out early- they want a "big reveal!" Kinda like the announcement of a "significant discovery" (the discovery was probably made last fall!) Likely it will be similar to the discovery of the shaft tombs, 150+ mummies, including cat mummies, in the Bubasteion area of Saqqara or the mummification workshop discovered near the pyramid of Unas. In light of the multiple ongoing digs, it won't be "significant," unless they discover an undisturbed tomb, filled with goodies, in the digs at the Golden City of Aten. That potential exists, however.

• Options

Since we canceled our Israel and Jordan tour through being constantly messed around with flight changes this year, until next year , I suggested we do the Jordan and Egypt tour as Jordan is where we really want to see. Egypt has never been in our sights but all the talk here makes me want to go, but Mr. B continues to say no, he keeps saying how unstable Egypt is. Flight choices would be easier. Running out of time to persuade him, we would not want to go later than March or any time when it’s hot.

• Options

British -- Don't miss Israel! Israel & Jordan is one of my favorite tours.

• Options

Ok, thanks. That’s why we original booked it. Met the TD who usually conducted the tour years ago and he was so good that we knew he would make the tour excellent

• Options

British - Steve or Mark?

• Options

Yes, Mark I think

• Options

Both the Israel-Jordan and Jordan-Egypt tours are amazing. Stephen was my TD for the Israel-Jordan tour . He was laid back and very knowledgable. Debra was the TD for the Jordan-Egypt tour. She was fantastic!

British - try to persuade Mr. B. to visit Egypt - you will not be disappointed. There is so much history and there was never a time when we felt unsafe. (BTW--Qatar Airlines flies the Jordan/Egypt route) :)

• Options

PureLuxury

Is this the Stephen to whom you refer?

• Options

Yes, Alan. I hafd him on the Central Europe land tour. he was my favorite of all my trips. his knowledge of history and the sites are incredible. I had Mark on my I/J tour.

• Options

Is this the Stephen to whom you refer?

AlanS...Yes

• Options

Yes, Mark was our Central Europe TD.
    PureLuxury, I already tried the Qatar angle. 😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file