I have been remiss checking on the status of the GEM. I have been less motivated because I know it won't be open when we go. That being said and as I predicted, it is looking more and more like the opening will be coincident with the 100th anniversary of the discovery of Tut's Tomb.
A 14 Jan 2022 ABC News article https://abcnews.go.com/International/egypt-mark-centenary-tutankhamun-tomb-discovery-inaugurating-lavish/story?id=82247869 stated, "Egypt said the best way to mark the centenary of Tutankhamun tomb's discovery would be inaugurating a new state-of-the-art museum later this year to house the ancient boy king's vast treasures. . . . .'If the coronavirus-related conditions are stable, then the (museum's) opening would be in the second half of the year,' Egypt's antiquities and tourism minister Khaled el-Anany told ABC News . . . . 'We will be ready by the middle of this year … but we want to make sure that our guests can arrive in large numbers. We aim to invite presidents and kings from all over the world,' el-Anany said."
In other news, "El-Anany told ABC News that Egypt plans to announce another significant discovery in February or March, which he said will 'capture the world's attention.' However, he refused to disclose further details."
The Egypt Daily News reported today, "About 99% of construction work in the Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM) has been completed, according to Atef Moftah, the General Supervisor of the GEM project."