We had a wonderful experience on this trip. The trip to Muir Woods was awe-inspiring and seeing that General Sherman tree in Sequoia National Park was very memorable. I read on this forum, and in the Tauck tour "reviews" before I left for my trip that there was some disappointment that the hotels and meals were not up to Tauck standards. I can tell you that we stayed at Wuksachi Lodge and at the Ahwahnee, and both were fine. The location of these hotels made the trip. The Ahwahnee, particularly, with the inspiring views of the granite cliffs all around Yosemite National Park was well worth not having the swank of the Fairmont (where we stayed on the last night in San Francisco), simply because we could walk out the back of the hotel right onto the trails. At Wuksachi, I got up at 5:30 a.m. (yes, on East Coast time!) and watched the sun break over the mountains all around me. I stood outside in a clearing to see the constellations shining bright because there was no light pollution. I felt peaceful and relaxed throughout this trip.
This was our first Tauck tour and we are going on the Classic Italy tour in July. Our tour director, Jenee, was fabulous, knowledgeable, and handled the 38 people on our tour with caring and ease. I went with my husband and my three children aged 21, 20 and 18. If you are considering this tour, yes, you will be a little out of your comfort zone, if you are used to super-deluxe hotels and posh restaurants. But seeing the wonders of these parks, and walking through a forest where there are trees 2000-3000 years old - you will be astounded. I have gone with other tour operators, and Tauck is definitely a step above. First of all, you can really relax and be sure that everything has been handled. From the moment we landed, and the chauffeur was waiting for us, as promised, to the ease of returning to the airport for our flight - nothing was a problem. If you go on this tour, I think you will feel the way my family did - awed, humbled, inspired and grateful to have seen these natural wonders with our own eyes. Don't let the little things like one boxed lunch on the tour take your focus off what you came to see - the parks and the massive trees, the wildlife, and most importantly - the precious, golden days spent with your loved ones. I hope you will have as good a time and come back with as many wonderful memories as I have had.