Sharps container

What should I do with the travel size sharps container I will use while on safari in Tanzania? Can I throw it away at the Zanzibar hotel?

Comments

• Terrye -- How about checking with the Embassy in Tanzania?

• Terrye - You should also put the question in writing to Tauck so that you get an answer from them in writing (e-mail).

• edited July 2022

Starting to investigate ,this part is about drugs in general

Importation of pharmaceuticals for personal use
    Pharmaceuticals for personal use shall be imported based on the guidelines for inspection and approval of Medicines and Medical Devices for personal use at PoE.
    Permit for importation of pharmaceutical products for personal use which meets the criteria for online application may be issued if the following requirements have been complied: -
    a) Application has been accompanied by a prescription from 8

a registered medical practitioner, dentist, veterinarian or
    any other authorized practitioner;
    b) Application has been accompanied with a letter giving
    reasons for importation of pharmaceuticals for personal
    use as may be requested by the Authority;
    c) Any bona fide tourist or visitor who enters into or
    person normally resident who re-enter Tanzania Mainland may bring with him such quantity of any pharmaceutical product as may be required during a period of 21 days for the medical treatment of himself, any member or partner travelling with him.

From reading in general, it seems it is a problem for proper disposal of sharps in Tanzania. I wonder whether a hotel, especially remote one will be willing to take them from you. There must be some info from Tauck, I assume there must be type one diabetics who travel with Tauck

• Thank you British, I’ve written an email to Zanzibar Park Hyatt which is our last hotel and I’ve sent an email to Tauck. So hopefully I will get an answer before I leave on the 15th.

• Good news I finally found the TSA rules for used syringes and if in a sharps container they are allowed. So I can just bring them home and dispose of them

• Ah, I thought you meant while you were in Tanzania, like getting through security on the way home too.

• Well hopefully they have the same rules as our TSA as I cannot find anything on the Tanzania website about used syringes. I’m still waiting to hear from Tauck and the Zanzibar Hyatt to see if I can dispose of them before returning home.

• Terry’s. Sending you a PM

• FYI I just received a very nice reply from Park Hyatt Zanzibar. They will be glad to help me discard my sharps container, which will help immensely with security on our return trip.