Options

reading suggestions before the trip

We are going on the Elegant Adventures trip in June and I can't find the suggested reading list. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023

If you go to the page for the tour, there is a big list, Here is some of it, but it won’t copy and paste properly for me. But it is there on the page under Important Info with a line to the list Photos of the books etc

South Africa: An Elegant Adventure
    Recommended Reading

The Last Empire: De Beers, Diamonds and the World
    The Last Empire: De Beers, Diamonds and the World
    View on Amazon The inside story of De Beers Consolidated Mines—from the 19th-century diamond rush that transformed Johannes De Beer's humble South African farm into a vast source of wealth, to the Oppenheimers' shadow empire that has achieved unmatched global reach. By Stefan Kanfer.
    Long Walk To Freedom
    Long Walk To Freedom
    View on Amazon The autobiography of Nelson Mandela—written in large part during his 27-year imprisonment—recounts his lifelong dedication to the fight against racial oppression. By Nelson Mandela.
    Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales
    Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales
    View on Amazon A collection of Africa's most cherished stories. By Nelson Mandela.
    A Human Being Died That Night
    A Human Being Died That Night
    View on Amazon Recounts the extraordinary dialogue between the author, a psychologist who grew up in a black South African township, and Eugene de Kock, the commanding officer of state-sanctioned death squads under apartheid. By Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela.
    The Scramble for Africa
    The Scramble for Africa
    View on Amazon The detailed historical account of how six European countries—Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Portugal, with Belgium's King Leopold at the center of it all—carved up Africa among themselves from 1876-1912, all in the name of the "3 Cs": Christianity, Commerce and Civilization. By Thomas Pakenham.
    Disgrace
    Disgrace
    View on Amazon The Booker Prize-winning author explores the downfall of one man and dramatizes with unforgettable vividness the plight of South Africa in the chaotic aftermath of the overthrow of apartheid. By JM Coetzee.
    Birds of Southern Africa
    Birds of Southern Africa
    View on Amazon Birds of Southern Africa continues to be the best and most authoritative guide to the bird species of this remarkable region, including South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and southern Mozambique. By Ian Sinclair and Phil Hockey.
    Traditional South African Cookbook
    Traditional South African Cookbook
    View on Amazon A collection of well-known South African recipes such as milk tart or melkkos, bobotie and vetkoek. By Magdaleen van Wyk and Pat Barton.

• Options
    edited March 2023

I think when I read My Traitors Heart, I did not care for that one. I have the Scramble for Afica

• Options

"The Covenant" by James Michener; "Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton. I also agree with Nelson Mandela's "Long Walk to Freedom."