Options

Bonjour mes amis- planning considerations and trip report

124»

Comments

• Options

Alan, glad to hear you and your suitcases are home safe. Thank you for the pictures and all your comments, they were awesome and I enjoyed them immensely.

• Options
    edited June 2023

Miles, Pounds and Money- As I recover and pick up the pieces after this wonderful tour, I discovered a few additional positives:

First, while it is not necessary to walk as much as we did and you can easily do more, especially in Versaille and Paris, we put in a lot of miles on this tour. (I added steps (via Fitbit) so Sam can critique my stride length! :D )

Day 0, Versailles (Trianon Estate- Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon, Queen's Hamlet, town): 8.08 mi. / 17,935 steps
    Day 1, Versailles (King's Apartments, Palace tour, gardens, Grand Canal): 6.43 mi. / 14,271 steps
    Day 2, Chartres (Cathedral and town, Château de Champchevrier (dogs and dinner)): 4.2 mi. / 9324 steps
    Day 3, Château de Langeais (castle and town- market day, vineyards of Moulin Bleu, Château Villandry (château & gardens)): 5.26 mi. / 11,667 steps
    Day 4, Château d'Angers (Apocalypse Tapestry) 3.97 mi. / 8805 steps
    Day 5, Port du Crouesty (Petit Mont (walking tour), cruise, Rochefort-en-Terre (walking tour)) 7.86 mi. / 17,456 steps
    Day 6, Vannes (walking tour), Château Josselin (tour) 4.56 mi. / 10,119 steps
    Day 7, St Malo (Mont-St-Michel (walking), St Malo- did not do walking tour) 6.85 mi. / 15,214 steps
    Day 8, Bayeux Tapestry, Le Memorial de Caen, Dauville) 3.73 mi. / 8282 steps
    Day 9, D-day beaches (Pointe du Hoc, Omaha Beach, American Military Cemetery) 4.99 mi. / 11,067 steps
    Day 10, Giverny (Monet house and gardens, 3.28 mi. / 7291 steps
    Day 11, Paris, (coach tour in am, private guide tour of Sainte Chapelle, Conciergerie, Louvre) 7.41 mi. / 16, 438 steps
    Day 12, Paris (Musee d'Orsay, walked from d'Orsay on our own to and toured Musee Rodin and Eiffel Tower, walked back to hotel): 8.17 mi. / 18,130 steps

Pounds- A first for me on a Tauck tour- despite all the tour food, especially desserts and breads, I lost 1+ lb :)

Money- The Waldorf-Astoria Trianon Palace mistakenly charged us a 400 € ($428.28) security deposit during check-in but credited us the next day. In the time it took AMEX to process the charge and subsequently credit our account the exchange rate had changed so we ended up making $2.88 :D

Random note: My booklet-sized and customized Green Book worked out wonderfully, especially the blank pages I left at the end for taking notes.

• Options

My God!!! Alan, you're beyond incredible and funny. :) glad you only kept 1 lb. Fantastic.
    I'm gaining the lb.'s, before my trip... This is really bad! so far 3lb. in the last month 1/2. horrible. Thanks god the plunge pools are in each room. not public. - otherwise, I will have to wear a Burka.
    Also, to every father here ... "Have a Happy Father's Day."
    :)

• Options

Alan - as requested. You take ~300 more steps/mile than I do. 😂

• Options

We took this trip in May. We figured (based on my Apple Watch) we walked 72 miles over 14 days. Yet, I still gained weight! Loved your photos, Alan. They look very similar to mine. Glad you had a great time.

• Options

JanP
    10:27PM
    We took this trip in May. We figured (based on my Apple Watch) we walked 72 miles over 14 days. Yet, I still gained weight! Loved your photos, Alan. They look very similar to mine. Glad you had a great time.

Jan, Our mileage was almost the same as well!! Our's totaled a tad over 74 (a little more if you add in walking at CDG :D )!

• Options

WOW Alan, you are something else, keeping those records !!! I always look at how many steps I take but never write them or the miles down now I'm going to start doing it. BTW for the first time ever I gained weight in the Adriatic Tour, I usually loose about 2 lbs per tour :(

• Options

AlanS - Don't forget to report your currency arbitrage to the IRS :)

I recall being in Europe shortly after the beginning of the EUro when it was close to par with the USD. I had about 100 € left over from the trip and kept it. Then, the Euro went up to $1.50 and I was happy for holding onto it.

• Options

gladysorlando984
    12:44PM
    WOW Alan, you are something else, keeping those records !!! I always look at how many steps I take but never write them or the miles down now I'm going to start doing it. BTW for the first time ever I gained weight in the Adriatic Tour, I usually loose about 2 lbs per tour :(

I don't write it down. The Fitbit Ap tracks it, so once it has synched with my iPad, I can call up the info any time. I logged some serious mileage today- NOT- just .72 mi. so far! B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file