Options

Leather in Morocco

We would like to have custom coats made. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options

You will have an opportunity to buy/order leather coats in Fez when you visit the tannery. My husband and I bought jackets that are unique and beautiful. They have many pieces already made, but I know you can have something more custom if you want (a woman on our tour had it delivered to our hotel the next day).

Be prepared to bargain, a lot. It's not something that we're particularly good at, but it is expected. We went during Covid (2021) and were feeling generous since we knew the vendors had really suffered for over a year. They say a deal is a "good deal" when all parties are satisfied - we were happy with our purchases and felt the end price was fair.

My other purchases were pottery and some scarves and also spices/lotions in the place where Tauck took us in Marrakesh. I believe we may have paid more at these shops, but I trusted the quality.

My one regret is not buying more of some of the spices...I like to cook middle Eastern food and they were great, particularly the Ras Al Hanout. Enjoy!

• Options

I bought a goat-leather bag from a street vendor in Essaouira. It is a beautiful Majorelle-blue color and was very inexpensive. This was in 2018. It smelled strongly of goat and I was given several suggestions on how to air it out etc and reassured that in time the smell would subside. So far in 5 years it has not. Goat leather is super-soft and feels very luxurious but the smell is very sharp and "distinctive". Just an fyi. Maybe now there are leather treatments that are helpful.

• Options
    edited November 2023

A woman on our tour bought a handbag and wanted it modified. They modified it to her specifications and delivered it to the hotel. She was happy with what they did. I'm sure they will do a lot to make the sale of a couple of coats.

[This was at the tannery that Tauck took us to.]