Options

Scandinavia in Spring Packing List

We are going on the Scandinavia trip in May 2024 but the suggested packing list is totally generic and not at all country or season specific. Ive been following the weather online for a few weeks and it's clear we need a warm coat, hat/gloves for evenings, I always pack rain gear, sunscreen etc. so I will pack pants with a mix of short & long sleeve shirts with a few sweaters a dressy top or two for dinner, but what I can't tell is if it will get warm. 70 degrees F and sunny is a lot different from 50 and cloudy. Anyone been to Sweden, Denmark & Norway in the Spring?

Comments

• Options

Scandinavia during May can have unpredictable weather, yet your intuition is correct. It's important to wear clothes in layers. Nights might be cold, so remember to take your thick jacket, cap and mittens. It is wise to have both short-sleeved and long-sleeved tops as well as jumpers in your luggage. About the temperature, it changes but often is between 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. It's smart to prepare for both situations when packing. I went to Scandinavia during the Spring, and it was very useful for me to have different kinds of clothes.

• Options

I have dual citizenship (USA and Denmark) and always return to Scandinavia in either Spring or Fall. Mid May, in my opinion, is a beautiful time to visit. Expect Fahrenheit temperatures to range between lows of mid 40s to highs of mid 60s. Temperatures will be lower the farther north you travel; higher the farther south you are. There is more daily sunlight starting in the spring.

I do not see the need for heavy outerwear. Layers work best with scarves and gloves and, perhaps, a wool cap for when traversing the beautiful fjords. Rain is typical in May, not heavy rain though. Rain coats with hoods are good to bring and if of substantial weight with a lining, you really do not need to bring other outerwear. I would prepare more for wind which can drastically make the air colder. Layer with lightweight wool and cashmere blends for warmth.

The region is beautiful with the fjords and countryside of Norway being spectacular. Yes, I am biased.

• Options

It should go without saying that with the effects of climate change, fluctuations will occur. We have already seen glaciers retreating in areas above the arctic circle, as well as colder than normal winter temperatures in the far north. Nonetheless, you will experience clean, safe cities and breathtakingly beautiful vistas. Enjoy!

• Options

We were on this trip in early June. Prepare for weather in the 70s, sun, rain, and snow in the mountains. No joke. That is what we had. Great trip. The itinerary has changed a bit due to myriad complaints about too much air travel with the previous itinerary. Have a wonderful time.