Great Lakes cruise

We are booked on this trip in August. I haven’t seen much discussion on the forum from past travelers. Can anyone who has done this sailing comment. We are sailing from Toronto to Chicago. Thanks.

Comments

• edited July 11

kfnknfzk did a report of this trip a while ago, I can’t reference it but I know she was very disappointied with the trip, She modified her origin post so it did not sound as negative. Hopefully she will see your post and give some general feedback. Despite this, Tauck sent us a good offer for the tour, so we are going in late August but from Chicago to Toronto. We would never have paid the original price for the tour, we think it is super expensive.
    The only place I have been to before in Chicago, one of our independent trips in the early ‘just returning to travel’ days. We stayed at the Four Seasons. This time we are not upgrading to those hotels, we don’t see the point, plus the Welcome and Farewell dinners are at the other hotels anyway. My husband has been to Toronto several times. I’m most looking forward to Mackinac Island after seeing the movie Somewhere it Time years ago. And finally getting to see Niagara Falls.

• Maybe we will cross paths in Chicago. Are you arriving early? We are staying at the 4 seasons.

• No, not arriving early, booked the tour just a few weeks ago. We have two trips before that one. Need time to recover and we have seen most of the sites in Chicago.

• We are doing this cruise in October. Apparently there are more options for tours than on previous trips. There are a couple days on ship, one through locks, which some people enjoy especially men, and another cruise day. The Ponant ships we have been on are very enjoyable for a day at sea. We are going early to enjoy Toronto before the trip starts. Have been on many Tauck trips and never disappointed though some more favorite than others. And you meet the nicest people.

• For those who would like to read about my experiences, my critique is titled 'Impressions of Cruising the Great Lakes - Toronto to Chicago'...there are two parts, Oct and Nov 2022. You can access the two narratives by using the search bar and typing in a portion of the title then scroll down until you see them.

As indicated in my preface, this trip was very much an anomaly due to events that I believe were mostly outside of Tauck's control.

To clarify and dispel misinformation, I in no way altered my review to make it appear less 'negative.' I have no idea how that conclusion was arrived at. Moreover, I would consider taking this trip again if a different type of vessel was used--my only negative assessment based on my personal preferences and expectations.

Choc and Augrl - Please don't allow my unfortunate turn of events to taint your anticipation of this cruise. I would love to hear about your experiences.

• Apologize kfnknfzk, I thought I remember you saying that there was a big problem with drunken behavior etc. I know it’s the only time you have been dissatisfied with a Tauck tour. I thought about this when I booked my tour. I can’t seem to find your review. I’ll take another look.

• Now I’ve found and reread your posts, I can understand why Tauck offered us this tour at an incredibly reduced price. Maybe your review turned people off this very expensive tour.
    I do hope things have been smoothed out. They have already made one huge error, the itinerary that was sent after final payment had several huge mistakes including the wrong day of departure, two day 10’s and two boat ride days at Niagara Falls. I called Tauck and they had to resend the entire ‘green book’ to everyone on the tour. We could not even print part of it as the updated one was so different and we always print it out exactly as the green books used to be.
    I’ll be sure to write a review.

• British, would you please clarify how you were able to secure a special deal for this trip? I am planning to take this tour in the future, but if Tauck is offering reduced rates I would like to get in on that.

• I’ll PM you