Evening Clothing

Hi, We are going on this river cruise in December and I just received my Journey Awaits booklet. This is our first river cruise and first time traveling with Tauck. Regarding suggested clothing to pack, they suggested a sports jacket/tie for men for a couple evening dinners, pantsuit, skirt for women. We pack light, so packing sports jacket for my husband is not something I was planning on and he has only worn a tie twice since retiring, to a wedding and a funeral LOL. My thought was more in line of a nice sweater or long sleeve shirt with chino style trousers. Curious what other travelers suggest. Thanks.

Comments

• The dress code on the Christmas Markets tours is much more casual. I wore corduroys and holiday sweaters (you’ll see lots of them!). Just no jeans in the Compass Rose.

• edited October 10

Everyone reports that the Christmas cruises are ultra casual. No need for a jacket. Tauck always publishes a very generic clothing list. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had shorts on the list for daytime. I can’t recall ever owning a pantsuit and can’t remember when I last wore a skirt…such old fashioned suggestions from them.

• No don't bother with the sport coat. You want to be warm and festive. We only had one night that was considered a.special dinner - Chef's Signature dinner - and I saw everything from ugly Christmas sweaters to sparkly dresses. I don't remember for sure but there probably were jeans or cords at dinners but worn with a nice sweater. More important to pack layered outer wear, hats, gloves, etc and leave room for shopping.

• I think it depends on whether or not your cruise dates coincide with Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Both those dinners were quite formal and many guests attended mass at the Cathedral in Antwerp (Yuletide Spirit cruise) afterwards on one or both days and were dressed accordingly. Attire is very much a personal choice.

• Thanks for the information.

• Christmas morning you must wear Santa or Elf jammies to breakfast. :D

• Part way thru our trip a lady of about my age had bought a beautiful pair of red wool german slippers. She wore them in the evening several times after. I was jealous I hadn't brought my haflinger's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file