Options

Luggage transfers

We will be taking the May 24 Grand Alaska tour and I have questions about luggage. With two different environments, inland and shipboard, we will be pretty heavily packed. We plan to pack to the limits on Alaska Airlines which allow one full sized suitcase at fifty pounds or less, one carry on with overhead bin size limits and one "personal item" like a backpack or purse limited to under the seat stowage. Tauck only will take the big suitcase as "checked" luggage. It mentions the requirement for the roll along type of carry on luggage to be stowed in the bus baggage section. What about the flightseeing tour? It seems that it ends at a different point than it starts. If only the checked luggage is transferred separately, will the floatplane have the capacity for the carry on and the "personal item"
Also, how many passengers are carried on the flightseeing planes?

Comments

• Options
    Are you taking all of this luggage per person or is that the luggage for everyone? It is only a 15 day tour. They have sinks in all of the hotels and aboard the ship....you don't need to pack yours. There was someone in here about another tour who was upset because they were flying first class and could take two 70 lb. suitcases on the plane, but only one 44 lb. bag on the tour.

My rule for packing is: If you aren't going to wear it three times it stays home. You can have laundry done on the ship, or wash out some items in the sink in your bathroom...you don't have to pack that one.

Honestly (and seriously), you won't need that much luggage. A medium suitcase and a backpack will give you plenty of space. You'll be bogged down with luggage with all the stuff you say you are taking. Traveling light is a plus. Enjoy the trip. It took three trips to pare my wife's "need" for a huge amount of clothes, but she did it and enjoyed traveling more.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

• Options
    How to make your luggage disappear … or at the very least turn up when you need it!

For the flight seeing … your checked luggage will no doubt be transported by land to meet you at t'other end. I'm sure the TD will be able to include your heavier hand pieces with the other, checked, stuff under the bus. A good rule for the committed traveller is to have a selection of fold down to nothing, light as a feather carry bags you can produce to hold your daily, must have with me or I'll die bits and pieces. You can hold that bag on your lap on the short flight.

The previous advice is excellent, too. Admirable, even. I try very hard to follow similar rules. I mostly succeed, but there are times ….

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file