What is the recommended attire for dinners on the ship?

Just wondering what the recommended attire is for dinner on the ship? Do gentlemen wear coats and ties? Do women wear fancy dresses? Or is the attire more business casual - nice, but not wedding level.

Comments

• Although smart casual is suggested, that is not what some people wore. A few people made more effort for the captain’s dinner but not all when we were there last year. Here is me with the captain one night.

• British, thanks for your assessment and the picture. If you have any more pictures taken during dinners on the ship they would be useful. I'm trying to show my wife and niece examples of what different people wore during the various dinners. Perhaps a comparison of any differences between the Captain's dinner and the other dinners on the ship. We are taking the tour next June. I posted a picture from a Captain's dinner from the Venice and Dalmation coast tour. Was attire on the Iceland tour similar.

• A picture is worth 1000 words! Different cruise but a Tauck ship: (I'm a guy so don't take many photos of people eating dinner, etc. :D )

Welcome dinner, Lubkovicz Palace, Prague

Dinner at Pallavicini Palace, Vienna

Typical daily (meals and touring) shipboard attire

Farewell dinner at the Akademia Club, Budapest

• Planning my wardrobe for the Blue Danube in less than 6 weeks. Your photos are quite helpful. Never thought about wearing pink fuzzy slippers. 😂 thanks for posting.

• On the Iceland cruise, we had dinner at the Captains table at the Welcome dinner, I was better dressed than my above photo but Mr B was just in a dress shirt.

• Lsmiller, 2:50PM. Planning my wardrobe for the Blue Danube in less than 6 weeks. Your photos are quite helpful. Never thought about wearing pink fuzzy slippers. 😂 thanks for posting.

Not sure what was going on there with the slippers?!?!? The photos were taken during an April 2018 eastbound Blue Danube cruise. That group shot may have been taken after we departed Bratislava and just before the casual farewell reception and dinner onboard- it was not a dress-up night. I had my camera but not my day bag so we weren't headed off touring. That is me and my harem- all but two have toured together before (and since.) All of us took a pre-tour excursion from Prague to Cesky Krumlov so we could take the Tauck excursion to Salzburg later in the cruise. For the dressier dinners ashore, quite a few men wore sports coats and a few wore suits. I'm not sure if the cooler early Spring weather had anything to do with it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file