Behind the scenes tour of the Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM)

For anyone (I'm one!! :) ) going on the Jordan & Egypt tour during the first half of 2020 who was hoping Tauck would take us on the behind-the-scenes tour of the GEM and the restorations labs, I've got some bad news. I just ran across new info in a 16 Jan 2020 Conde Nast Traveler article,

"It's been a while since news first broke on Egypt's much anticipated new antiquities museum: the Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM), which will be the largest archeological museum in the world. The opening date has been pushed back on multiple occasions, but the museum now says it will open in the final quarter of the year, with 94.5 percent of the work currently completed. (Last fall, the museum was briefly opened for a $250 hard hat tour, but when it became so popular it stalled construction, the program was pulled.)"

Read more of the article here:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/grand-egyptian-museum-cairo-everything-we-know

Comments

• AlanS...Thanks for sharing the not so great news :( . Fingers crossed for December 2020...final quarter of year. Perhaps there is some hope if 94.5% has actually been completed.

• Of course you know what they say about statistics. Two of the best: "There are three kinds of lies: "Lies, damned lies, and statistics," variously attributed to Mark Twain, Benjamin Disraeli, etc. and various versions of "Statistics lie and liars use statistics." “Figures don’t lie, but liars will figure.” "Figures, or statistics, don’t lie. They accurately reflect what was measured." etc. :D:D

• Alan, one more for you: “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file