Phone App - 2020 Trip Available

This morning my phone finally loaded the trip info. From previous experience I know it has limitations but was wanting it mainly for an handy copy of the itinerary. Was a bit surprised how little info there was on the location info - sights to see in each were mostly just one or two. Sigh. Oh well, I'll take it as a good sign the trip will happen in spite of what's going on with the corona virus.

Comments

• Yes, they have some very limited info imported/provided by Fodors, but not enough to make it worthwhile. I believe the original plan was to populate it with info about the sites visited on the itinerary, other sites, and TD and Taucktourian favorites, etc. including restaurants. I don't know if the TD's have the ability to update the itinerary from the field with daily "go sheet" info. Without that, it is of limited value.

• On the two previous tours where the app was available there was much more information on sights to see, restaurant recommendations, etc. My main gripe with those was that they didn't list relevant info like hours, ticket prices, price range, etc. so you had to do additional research. I have a copy of Fodors Switzerland guide out of the library right now and it has much more information so hard to figure why so little was added. Oh well, pretty small potatoes in the scheme of things right now.

• One other use for the App, once the tour starts, is to provide a handy list of your fellow travelers and where they are from.

• Agree that the guest list would be useful but in my experience (2 prior tours with it) they've never been accurate. People on the trip not on the list and people who canceled who are. It would be nice if you could add info as you get to know people - interests, email address, etc. The daily schedule would also be useful if accurate. The schedules start the trip pretty well but inevitably minor changes to times occur and the app isn't current.

Some of the useful functions are the maps, weather, currency converter. Though most people with a smartphone and cell service can get the same elsewhere.

• I agree with all of your comments. Have you ever sent in your ideas to the eSupport group? There's some chance that those features could get added some day. To me the biggest help would be if the TD's did a daily upload to the app with the detailed schedule and other things, instead of making and distributing paper copies.

• Smiling Sam
    2:57PM

. . . Have you ever sent in your ideas to the eSupport group? There's some chance that those features could get added some day. To me the biggest help would be if the TD's did a daily upload to the app with the detailed schedule and other things, instead of making and distributing paper copies.

I've sent in a number of suggestions, including all mentioned in this thread.

The app is a totally new feature, and I suspect, currently low on the priority list. They still need to get the site, especially the Account and Payment Section, working for UK, CAN, AUS, and NZ customers- that is a BIG DEAL . Also, while some reviews are posted, they don't have dates, etc. and new reviews can't be added. So you can see the IT folks and contractors have a lot on their plate.

In my estimation, the one app feature that would be nicest, but may have the least chance of happening, is on-tour updates to the daily schedule. If you've ever closely observed the TDs you'll know the are very busy most of the time. They spend any time (they really don't have any) and time while we are touring without them, taking care of and verifying, a myriad of details for later in the day, the next day, etc. and often work through meals and late into the evening while we travelers are fast asleep. They must prepare and submit a detailed report to HQ daily. Also, the TD would need access to decent internet, and the way the app is set up now, I believe users would need to reload the trip to see any changes.

• The IT people have done a lot in the couple of last years - app, new forum and new website. Lots to be working on. Yes I think I've made comments on the app here and on the tour comment cards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file