Comments

• Great news, mil, but you'll have to delete your post. Only AlanS is authorized to post Egyptian news updates.

• I wonder if Tauck will squeeze in a visit there?

I keep checking to see when the GEM will open. President Al Sisi said June, but that is just around the corner and since Egypt intends to invite world leaders and other dignitaries to the opening ceremonies, they should have already announced a specific date, so I think June is doubtful. We'll know they are getting close when they move Tut's golden burial mask and/or his mummy (if they decide not to leave his mummy in the VOK.) I suspect the mask will be the very last item and it could very well be transported in a special procession as part of the official opening ceremonies. Of course, there is always the possibility they could have a soft opening weeks or even months before the dedication or "grand opening."

They keep making steady progress with the millions of details. Recently they have been installing Tut's burial nesting compartments and just finished with the third "shrine." Judging by the condition of the structures, etc. visible in the background of the room where the shrine is located in the photo below, they are far from finished with Tut's displays.

"The compartment of over one ton, 3.40 meters long, 1.9 meters wide and 2.15 meters height is one of seven that housed the pharaoh's mummy along with two other shrines, a rectangular sarcophagus and three human-shaped coffins discovered in the tomb KV62 by British archaeologist Howard Carter."

• Be patient Alan. I watched the Egyptians build the ‘new’ Cairo airport while I was working for Saudia. When they finally finished, it already looked like it was five thousand years old. (;-)

• 5/18/21 Hello. I am new to this discussion. Anyone out there signed on the the Dec. 3 trip?

• They need to add the year to these posts. Some are very oid

• Debi, the year is included if it isn't the current year. If you just see the time it's the current day. If you just see the date it's the current year. Check out some older threads and you'll see it.

• edited May 2021

Debi- this thread is not that old- Mil started it just last week on 12 May 2021. If no year is displayed the post is from the current year, in this case 2021.

The forum software automatically inserts date/time just below each poster's name (it also adds the date/time it was edited- see below my screen name) following this convention:

• Same day posts- time only is displayed
    • At the end of the day, the system automatically changes what is displayed to: month and day
    • At the end of the month, the system automatically changes what is displayed to month and year

The same convention is also followed in the individual tour/region forums and search results listings under both "Started by" and "Most recent" names.

• Debi,

Being new to the forum you will quickly learn this, but just so you know.

AlanS is the Forum guru with respect to format, structure, font, color, highlighting, etc. He is also the source of all knowledge on Egypt/Jordan, Christmas Markets, ...

If you have a question, AlanS is a good source. :D

• Oh, geees!

• We are on the Sept. 7th 2021 Jordan & Egypt:Petra to the Pyramid, hear it's a very some group signed up--Let's hear from all of us that's going on this great trip. Gary

• I'm on the Sept. 26Th

• Let’s hope Israel is open by then.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file