Restrictions on Travel to Canada extended

TORONTO — The US on Wednesday renewed its pandemic curbs on nonessential travel at the U.S.-Canada land border for at least a month, marking a split with its northern neighbor and close ally on the restrictions.

The Department of Homeland Security said in a tweet that the extension of the measures — which also apply at the U.S.-Mexico land border and are now set to expire Aug. 21 — was motivated in part by a desire to decrease the spread of the highly transmissible delta coronavirus variant.

Comments

• No wonder my hubby keeps refusing to travel out of the country, this all makes my head spin! We do know quite a few people who have been to foreign parts and been fine and had a great time. I even have a friend who is going on an Alaska cruise today, but I guess it’s leaving from Seattle, I forget her itinerary because I never thought it would go.

• Death by a thousand cuts, to travel or plan travel internationally anytime soon is pure folly.

• Calaf - Depends on when and where you plan to travel internationally. Having recently completed (first week of July) a Tauck tour of Iceland, it can be done successfully. There are rules and protocols to follow, but I found the price well worth the reward.

• We are leaving for Iceland on Tuesday and will have the Antigen Rapid Test which is now required as of July 27. I agree with Smiling Sam that even with all the new rules it is worth it to us to be able to travel again.

• Be aware that this only applies to Canadians entering the United States. Canada is opening it's borders to fully vaccinated Americans on August 9. Those travelers will be able to return, although a PCR test is currently required by the US.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file