Options

Classic Italy 5/5/22 and Herculaneum guide/driver

We want to see Herculaneum prior to the start of the 5/5 small group Italy tour which begins in Sorrento. Wondering is anyone has a suggestion on guide/driver? Or perhaps anyone who might also be on this tour? Thank you!

Comments

• Options

Email sent.

• Options

We did Herculaneum on our own from Sorrento - it was VERY easy. We used the Rick Steves Italy book and he walks you through it. We took the train there, his book gives you a very detailed tour explaining everything in great detail. Don't miss the skeletons/bodies at the very end - they are down some stairs and we saw MANY people missing that part of the tour. I'm sure there are great guides also if you don't want to do it on your own. We enjoyed Herculaneum more than Pompeii. It's smaller, not as crowded, not as hot (more shade). We also had some of the BEST pizza in our 3 weeks in Italy in that town on the way back to the train station.

• Options

A bit off-topic, but farther south, another RS tip: the impressive Greek temples at Paestum in remarkable condition. I also took the train, not sure where I started. Only a handful of visitors there made for great photo opps.

• Options

I don’t know if things have changed in recent years, but in the past, the train (Circum-Vesuviana line) was a bit dodgy- old and dirty, with touts and pickpockets around the station and on the train.

• Options

It is too bad you’re a day behind me! I’ve made arrangements to do this tour on May 3rd. Im coming in an extra day early specifically to see Herculaneum. I hired a driver a guide and driver through driverinitaly.com. They are picking me up at my hotel, driving me to Herculaneum where I’ll hook up with a guide for a 2 hour tour. Then at the end the driver will take me back to the hotel. I did email the concierge at the hotel about using the train and joining a tour. It was their recommendation not to do it that way. Trains are very crowded, dirty and not reliable. Plus the train station is a long walk from the ticket office. AlanS gave me all the information for driverinitaly and I’ve found them to be very efficient. The hotel will also book you a driver and guide and the cost was pretty much the same. It’s expensive, but i feel very safe and as a solo traveler, not as adventurous as I used to be. What day do you arrive? Are you doing the Capri trip too?

• Options

Fran, if you are lucky you will get Dario (Darius?)- very good guide!

• Options

Thanks y'all. Yes, Fran we're also doing the Capri venture. I have emailed Driver in ITaly, as per Alan, and now I see you, too. Also contacted Rita at Sireon Travel, which is a company Tauck uses. In fact, I still have correspondence to/from Sireon in March 2020 about guides for a trip we were taking the following month. Well, you know what happened then :-( We're really looking forward to finally getting there! Thanks for all the tips and advice!

• Options

Hi Alan. I think I’ll reach out to Marco and request Dario. That would be amazing! I’m getting excited about finally going on this trip. Mazelea, we are all playing catch-up on travels, right?! I take one trip a year out of the country, and already thinking about what 2023 might bring! I’m so glad I made it to The Baltic States and Russia when I did….. so sad what’s happening now.