Options

Which and when Italy

2»

Comments

• Options

BKMD we have the same discussion in our family every time we see one of these churches. But wouldn't it be a shame, after all those thousands of workers and their families made all those sacrifices ions ago, if we DIDN'T go see their work?

• Options

BKMD we have the same discussion in our family every time we see one of these churches. But wouldn't it be a shame, after all those thousands of workers and their families made all those sacrifices ions ago, if we DIDN'T go see their work?

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I see these types of buildings as the exploitation of the poor.

I suppose you could look at it as although the money to build these places was taken by force from the poor, and the workers were probably not paid much for their labor, they produced “art” that has survived through the ages – and think of the building as a monument to those people.

It’s not just buildings from the past that evoke this reaction from me. Modern churches are built on an expensive, grand scale. The money that went to build that edifice could have gone to help the poor – perhaps to give them an education that could lift them out of poverty.

The Amish do not have churches – they meet in someone’s home.

• Options
    edited January 2023

We all have different things that are our favorites on tours which is why I think the generic "what should I see when I go to (fill in the city)" is kind of a dumb question in many ways. One person's favorite is another's OMG not again. We try to stay open to what the site and hopefully a knowledgeable local guide has to offer but I remember one of the reasons we picked the Switzerland tour after the Danube/Rhine cruise was a desire to see scenery vs imposing buildings. Now my husband has lost interest in the Canadian Rockies because we've seen so many beautiful mountains. Go figure. B)

• Options

AlanS - I've to those churches, beautiful art work inside, great pictures.

• Options

Well said Alan.

• Options

Alan. Great info.

• Options

Thank you Alan, great comment and very true.

• Options
    edited January 2023

My observation is that if there were no rich people and we were all equal, there would be nothing fantastic to see. The other way of thinking, like communism where as I understand it in its most simplest form is supposed to keep us all equal, it does not work. Human beings are not programmed to be like that. . After all, as Tauck travelers, are we not putting ourselves on another level….when I go on vacation, I expect someone else to make my bed, and not pay them much to do it….which is just the same as expecting someone to build my pyramid or church for me.
    I enjoy visiting Italy. I’ve been there maybe five or six times over the years. My first visit in my early twenties, it blew me away and it still does.I enjoy going into churches, well any buildings really. I’m not that into religious art paintings as such, yet I like to see the skill of those who painted them. If I could sneak in another visit to anywhere in Italy right now, I would go in a heartbeat, we still have not rescheduled our Covid canceled Croatia to Venice tour.
    To see the real Italy, I think we got more out of visiting the small towns and villages of places like Tuscany and Umbria and Puglia but the big cities should not be missed either, it’s a very hard choice to make.

• Options

Anywhere in Italy is awesome and has it's own attraction, I remember being pleasantly surprise at how lovely the villages in Northern Italy were, like you British I can go back there anytime. I also feel the same way about Spain which is very dear to me as all my grandparents were born there.

• Options

When I think about the construction of the churches and other buildings in Europe, I think about the craftsmen who made them possible. Just last week at my dentist's office I spoke with the office manager who is going to Paris in the fall. She is looking forward to seeing the Sacre Coeur. When I remarked that she shouldn't be too disappointed because it is less imposing than other churches and cathedrals, she said that she is looking to go and stare at a portion fo the facade. Her great-grandfather was responsible for a small portion of it. I would imagine that the families and descendants of those who built the churches and cathedrals in the middle ages would feel the same way....proud of what their ancestors were able to accomplish!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file