Options

Which RiverCruise if you only had ONE WEEK?

My cousin (single male, mid 50s) has never been to Europe, and he wants to go on a RiverCruise with us - the issue is, he owns a store and can only be gone 8-10 days, so we are looking at RiverCruises that only last one week (with a day Pre and Post cruise).
The best time for him to be gone is Spring or Fall.

Just curious which cruise you would choose if you've never been to Europe?
We are considering the Heart of the Danube: Bavaria to Budapest (although my husband and I have seen this area, so it's not our first choice),
Duoro (although we've read this is more of a Food/Wine cruise and not much European sites/history),
Impressions from the Seine: Paris to Normandy (we've never been here, so this would be our choice, but we want a great experience for him, since this may be his only time to Europe),
Cruising the Dutch Waterways, Belgium & Holland in Spring (another area we haven't seen other than Amsterdam)--

For those of you who've seen most of the above - or better yet, have been on those cruises - we'd love to know your thoughts on the best choice for him.

Thank You --

Comments

• Options

Our first and still favorite was one called French Waterways. Savoring France is basically the same tour with a little more food focus. Part of what we liked was most of the docking you could walk to sites vs a lot of bussing. That includes Viviers, Arles, Avignon, and Tain l'Hermitage. Even in Lyon there's a nice walking path along the river. We liked this one so much we've even discussed doing the longer French Escapade.

FYI, I think everyone's first tour is their favorite. If it wasn't great they probably wouldn't have come back.

• Options

Given the constraints mentioned, I would choose the Heart of the Danube for the history, old world charm and glorious scenery as you float along the Danube. I believe it offers the best value for a short, first time exposure to Europe. Perhaps you can have him review some itineraries and let him decide!

• Options

IMO for someone who has never been to Europe, it would be Paris to Normandy, or the Danube. Claudia mentions Savoring France, which we did last May. We loved it, but think it’s more than a week.

• Options

It depends. Most common phrase of my life. It sounds like this is a one time travel opportunity for both of you to travel together. Therefore experiencing something new together is part of the equation. I have been on the Saone, Seine, Rhine and soon the Danube. The Seine is not the most dramatic river but you have Paris and Normady. Having said that I would either do the Alps and Rhine were you get the Alps, some France, some Germany and some the Netherlands. Or the spring tour in Belgium and the Netherlands. It is a very short TGV ride to Paris from Brussels(90 minutes) if you want to build that into your trip. If you are open to a land tour although less "landy" than other consider London and Paris.

• Options

Thanks everyone. My husband and I have done the Danube and Rhine towns A LOT - both with Tauck, Uniworld, and on our own - so we do not want to repeat those. I posted this question on the Facebook Tauck Travelers page (which seems more active than these forums) and most everyone said to take the extra days and go with the 10 day Rendezvous On The Seine Cruise -- which is now what we are leaning towards. I still haven't ruled out the Holland and Belgium one if my cousin can't take the 12 days off. He owns a home accessory shop and florist, so he loves all things flowers and gardens. I read and thought about each of your suggestions and really appreciate them all. I do agree that the Danube and Rhine are more OLD TOWN CHARM for a 1st timer to Europe - but my husband and I really need to see a new and different area of Europe.

• Options

I don't think you can go wrong no matter the choice. Even our least favorite tours we've had some amazing experiences.

• Options

@terrilynn - We did the Seine river cruise (with another company) and loved visiting Paris and the small towns on the itinerary. It would be a good choice for the trip you're planning with your cousin. If he loves gardens, then he will love Giverny; it's beautiful. Visiting the beaches of Normandy and the cemetery was very moving, so much history there.

I agree with @Claudia Sails - you can't go wrong with either choice. If you visit Keukenhof in Holland, your cousin would love that, too.

Thanks for your tip about the Tauck Traveler FB group!