Options

Switzerland - Crown Jewel Trip Report, September 2023 Part 1

edited March 19 in Switzerland

We took this excellent tour in mid-September. Mike Henderson's blog of his tour provides a lot of detail, but thought I would offer our experiences as well. We were a couple of days later than Mike's tour. It was a great trip, led by a very good, energetic tour director. We flew Swiss Air from Chicago to Geneva to Lausanne, and United Zurich to Chicago. Very smooth travel - no delays.

We arrived mid-afternoon, one day before commencement of the tour. Easy check-in, excellent hotel, beautiful room with balcony and Lake view. We walked up to and visited the Cathedral and then walked through the Old Town. We picked up a couple of salads to go and enjoyed dinner on our balcony accompanied by the free mini-bar beverages.

Day 1 of Tour: It was raining, and we rode the Metro (transport card included with hotel stay) to the Olympic Museum (Lausanne is the headquarters of the Olympic Committee). Very enjoyable. After lunch on balcony, we walked around the old town, including a visit to nearby St. Francis Church. Welcome cocktails and dinner at hotel, where we met our very nice group of fellow travelers.

Day 2: Very nice visit to Chateau Chilllon in Montreux. Guided tour of ground and lower levels. We then walked upstairs to the bedroom areas and then to the upper areas and some great views on a beautiful day.

Then to Gruyeres, where our TD gave us money for a "scatter" lunch. Some folks chose restaurants for fondue. We decided to grab a takeaway lunch, which we ate in the main square area. We then visited the Chateau de Gruyeres, which was very interesting (once a stop on the Grand Tour). Our TD reimbursed for the entry fee. We then went to the Giger bar, which is across from the Giger Museum. Interesting place to have a refreshment, as Giger was a Swiss artist who was part of the team that worked on the Aliens movie. He designed the Alien, and the bar is very otherworldly.

Arrival in Zermatt by train from Taesch - while there were a lot of people it was not overly-crowded. We walked to the Hotel as a group - first trying for a peek of the Matterhorn, but it was obscured. Loved the Hotel, great room with balcony. We took a quick walk, then enjoyed the balcony , and then went to the included dinner at our hotel, which we had booked for a later time than most of the group. Excellent dinner.

Day 3 was one of my favorites. Train up to Gornergrat. Great views and a lovely day, but the Matterhorn was hiding again. Most of the group chose to go on the hike - others returned to town at their leisure. The hike was a highlight for me. After the hiking group returned to Zermatt, we grabbed a takeway lunch for our room and then visited the Matterhorn Museum (which is included in our tour). Very worthwhile visit. We then visited the nearby Church and the interesting cementary at the rear of the Church. Unsuccessful climbers are buried there. From there, we crossed the river and walked around that side of town. After a snack on our balcony, we went to dinner at a local restaurant, Chez Gaby, recommended by our TD. Very good dinner and we had a bottle of excellent Swiss white wine - recommended by the waiter. After dinner, the Matterhorn was fully visible.

Day 4 - Zermatt to Lugano. Train to Taesch and then bus to Italy. Upon arrival in Stresa, it was raining, but it stopped while eating lunch. Good included lunch with wine. We had some time to walk around before meeting the water taxi for Isola Bella, where we had an very good tour of Borromean Palace. After touring the interior, we had time to walk around the beautiful gardens. Then to Lugano and the excellent Hotel Splendide Royal. Another beautiful room with balcony and Lake view. We had another later dining time for the included dinner, so we went for a swim - lovely pool area. Excellent dinner.

Day 5 - Very good guided walking tour of Lugano. Then a boat ride around the Lake with a wine tasting. I enjoyed the wines - sparkling was very good, white was decent, red was very good. Very good group lunch at a Grotto restaurant. Upon return, we and a few others from the group took a funicular up to San Salvatore. Close to Hotel and lovely views. We then enjoyed the pool again. Then, we walked the promenade back into town, where we had salad and pizza outdoors at a restaurant recommended by the local guide, Spaghetti Pomodoro. Nice and relaxing.

Day 6 - Lugano to St. Moritz. Pretty drive along Lake Como, although it was overcast. Boat ride to visit lovely Bellagio, in Italy. We walked up cobbled stairs to the top of the shopping area where we visited the Basilica San Giacomo. Plain on the outside, with beautiful altar and mosaics on the inside. We then walked along a road to the other side of the Village and started back when it started to drizzle. We ducked into a cafe for a cappuccino during a short, but hard shower. Then we walked along the shops, stopping in a nice wine shop. The walk down the cobblestone steps was slippery, so we were careful. Then boat back, and a nice lunch at the Grand Hotel in Menaggio. Then the drive to St. Moritz, which was pretty, but it was raining off and on. Beautiful hotel in St. Moritz, the Kempinski, and another lovely room. We again had a later reservation for the included dinner and first went swimming in another nice pool. Excellent dinner.

To be continued.

Comments

• Options

Wonderful. I look forward to the next installment.

• Options

I was on the same trip with Lotusgirl and I’m just going to say ditto to what she wrote.

• Options

And to add a few thoughts on practicalities:

I ended up purchasing a Switzerland (Type J) adapter plug. I borrowed one at the second hotel and bought it from them. Some of the outlets were in strange places and there were not as many European 2 prong outlets as I had assumed there would be, and no working usb port in one of the hotels.

Clothing - for our mid-September trip, I did bring shorts and wore them twice. For the cold weather, I had gloves, beanie hat, and layered a fleece jacket and good raincoat. Some people in the group did have puffer jackets.
    I also have a very light hooded rain jacket that can fold up in its pocket, and I wore it a few times.
    Although I usually do not travel with jeans, I did on this trip, and wore them 3 times on high elevation days.
    I strongly recommend good walking or hiking shoes with thick soles and good tread.

Umbrella highly recommended.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file