Options

African safari

My husband and I are would very much like to go on a safari. We are both in our late seventies and my husband has a problem walking for a long time. How much walking is involved in the safaris and at what activity level. Also, how bumpy are the rides on the bush and how long? We'd like to know if we'd be able to do it before we sign up. Thank you,
Margot

Comments

• Options

Except for an optional bush walk (which is very short), the safaris are entirely by vehicle. The bulk of the walking on the trip is in the cities, not on the safari. Only long-ish walk I remember was at Kirstenbosch Gardens in Cape Town. Tauck rates this an Activity Level 2, which means you should be able to walk 1-2 miles or stand for an hour (see full definition on the itinerary page). Generally, the safaris are mostly on fairly smooth dirt roads, but they will go off road to chase wildlife and it can get bumpy (off road travel will be at a relatively slow speed. The days are long on safari, which is why the Pace Level is a 4 (again, see full definition on the itinerary page). Expect to spend most of the day out on safari, with late dinners. This a a good trip for those not wanting just a safari, with a good balance between local culture and sightseeing, and safari days.

• Options

Ken describes it well. I would add that there can be some very wet walking at Victoria Falls, but that depends on the time of year. This tour is a nice combination of culture, history and safari adventure. I found the pace to be gentle. I was 70 when I took this trip. If your main goal is to see wildlife, then the Kenya/Tanzania trip is probably the best for that. There are some Kenya/Tanzania experts on this forum who could address the questions you ask. I wish you a wonderful experience whatever Africa tour you choose. They are all wonderful!

• Options
    edited November 2023

I am at Victoria Falls as I write! (3rd time)
    I have taken 7 trips to Africa now. I have taken the Elegant South Africa tour. Because of the things you mention about yourselves, I would not recommend this tour, several reasons, there is more walking, plus the safari vehicles are high and quite tricky to climb into. These vehicle are used on all Southern Africa tours. I would however, recommend the Kenya and Tanzania tour or the Tanzania Zanzibar tour. The vehicles they use are a Toyota Land cruiser or similar. Although you can stand on the seats in these vehicles to view, you don’t have to. Also it’s generally easier to fly there too.
    We walked the falls yesterday, we know they are low at this time of year so it was not slippy, but the rock formations are interesting. It is however brutally hot and humid. It is a 3 kilometer walking round trip.
    We actually think that most of the AFRICA trips are the easiest, virtually no walking, we crave for exercise when we get home. Also, so easy to pack for, no dress up clothes and even better, no makeup!
    The safari rides can be bumpy, depending on whether it has rained and therefore muddy. In Southern Africa, the vehicles can go off road to view the animals which j can mean literally driving over the top of small trees which spring back up afterwards. In East AFRICA, their is no off roading. With either way, you still get very close to the animals…the trip I’m on now, I could have touched an elephant more than once for instance. When the big cats are sighted, that’s when rides can get very bumpy as all the vehicles race to where they are.
    When we first went to Africa, there were more rides between camps, these days they fly and other roads have been paved ( by the Chinese). The safari rides vary, most start before dawn, middle of the day off because it’s too hot and the animals are sheltering and harder to spot. Then an early evening ride. You don’t have to go on all of them. Some are all day.
    To get the most out of a safari, it really helps to watch lots of African wildlife programs to learn about their behavior, which adds to your enjoyment and understanding of what you are going to see.

• Options

I took a photo of one of our group getting into our vehicle a couple of days ago to show people. Trying to download to show you but internet is weak right now. If I can’t do it now,I’ll try again later.

• Options

As you can see, you climb up the sides of the vehicle on the three different level steps, then step over the rim of the vehicle and down onto the floor of it, there are no doors.

• Options
    edited November 2023

Above, a Toyota Land Cruiser. They provide a step stool to get in, still high but much easier. Passenger doors on the other side.

• Options

Thank you. Do you get a kick back from Tauck? You should

• Options

No kickback! Just like to travel. I have found the forum very helpful over the years. Wish more people would give there feedback on tours, good and bad, so important.

• Options

British is one of the Tauck experts I was referring to. Thank you, British, you are the best🦒🦁🐘

• Options

My wife and I are in the “octo” neighborhood, and we are returning to K&T for the fourth time in May. On the tours we have been on they do go ‘off road’ some of the time in Kenya. I think in Tanzania they had to stay on the roads such as they are. While pursuing a leopard sight on one occasion it was like being in the Indy 500 in a safari vehicle on a one lane road with traffic in both directions … what a rush. I would have fastened my seatbelt but I didn’t dare ‘let go’. Not intending to scare anyone, but don’t expect a carriage ride in Central Park. The drivers are very very good. This is the leopard: