Options

Israel-Jordan Trip - War Declared - Impact on Trip

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023

I’m wondering if you had an AirTag that was connected to an email of someone at home that you kept on your person, whether they would work?

Absolutely would. It wouldn't be connected to their email, but they could see it on Find My. It would work just as if it was on their luggage - but it would be on you.

It would be their AirTag, connected to their Apple ID (and their iPhone).

Another way to do that would be to allow them to find you (share my location). That wouldn't be quite as good because if you lost your connectivity Find My wouldn't work. If anyone close to you had an iPhone with connectivity, the AirTag would report its location.

• Options

pwresq:Glad you are safe now.The departure debacle could have been prevented if TD or delegate was available till all the guests have left.I think Tauck does a fantastic job but toward the end of the tour or after the farewell dinner they could linger on and be available ; regardless of the situation at the destination.TDS do disappear magically ; may be they can extend their presence by a day or two?

• Options

Most of the time the TD’s cannot do that because they have back-to-back tours to guide and have to get to the destination where a tour begins.

• Options

We got the cancellation notice for our October 19th Israel / Jordan Tauck tour and rebooked The Blue Danube on the Ms. Savior on June 14th 2024. We are Still dealing with British airways changes of flight from Tel Aviv to Cairo. We booked a Viking cruise down the Nile after the Tauck Israel tour and they are still going :( Not sure how safe I feel about flying into and touring around Cairo! I called Viking and asked about changing the trip and they told me we would lose 100% of our fully paid Egypt trip unless they cancel the trip. We will only book Tauck for now on!

• Options

Ourtravels34:I understand that is the state of affairs now with regard to TDS but my point is if Tauck wants to imrprove the service this is an area they could focus.Two times on our past tours we could have been helped if TD was around or available to mobilize help.

• Options

Update: Folks, in regards to the TD's availability on our trip, two things to keep in mind: first, our trip was cut short - we were due to depart October 18. Therefore there was no pressing or urgent need for the TDs to get to the "next trip." Second, our TD announced that his next trip was not until the end of the month and coincidentally, would be the same Israel-Jordan trip.

As far as a farewell dinner, it didn't happen. The TD did not mention it. He and the other TD sat in the same dining room by themselves away from the groups. Both Tauck groups sat near each other, and some pulled some tables together and had a semi-final farewell meal.

Again, to repeat, I am forever grateful to Tauck and both TDs for their unbelievable work and effort in getting all of us safely out of Israel and Jordan. It was a crisis - moment to moment - and they all did a great job given these incredible events.

• Options

They rarely stick around partly because they do have other tours to do. I couldn’t do their job. Remember they have friends and family too that worry about them

• Options

We had Chris Morrison in Morocco. He is a saint. Really.

• Options

Oh for sure they work extremely hard ; deal with so many personalities,requests etc.But I think there is abrupt and complete withdrawal at the end of the tour.I am sure if Tauck restructures their job requirements and add a day or two beyond completion of the tour every one will be served better.I can only compare the situation as is it to inadequate postop care.

• Options

More time between tours, less earnings for the Tour directors and Tauck, higher price for the tour.

Just to mention, we just return from a tour which was three weeks long, $4000 less than the equivalent two weeks Tauck tour. Fabulous TD and ok slightly less high end hotels but still good. And the day after the tour, he was there to say goodbye at 6am and be sure we got into the lovely limo provided. He was there earlier for others.

• Options

The real story behind “Argo” was only a three day event, and the most exciting parts were a Hollywood creation.

It's true that a lot of the story was a Hollywood creation, but it was a lot more than three days. It started November 4, 1979, and they got out on January 27, 1980. The film actually covers that period of time.

An example of the Hollywood creation was that the Iranians were putting together pieces of paper that were shredded and produced pictures of the "missing" Americans. Actually, the Iranians apparently didn't know they were missing. The movie made their departure from the airport a "skin of their teeth" affair but in reality, it was fairly routine.

You can read more about it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Caper

• Options
    edited October 2023

I should have been more specific. The Tony Mendez extraction part of the story only involved three days in Tehran. How the six got into their predicament was of course part of the story, but the “Argo” extraction or escape part of the story only involved three days in Tehran, was perfectly planned, and came off with nary a hitch other than a mechanical delay on their departure flight. I can imagine that the ebb and flow of events leading to the Tauck groups escape through Amman was every bit as tense for the participants. “We gotta get outa this place.”

• Options

...if it's the last thing we ever do!

• Options

That was the last song they played every night in the Seaman to Admiral’s Club at closing time. I’ll let you guess where that might have been?

• Options
    edited October 2023

I heard it a bunch of times in Vietnam, back in 70 and 71. And sang it with others.

[In reality, it has nothing to do with Vietnam, except we all wanted to get "out of this place," preferably alive and uninjured.]

• Options

julieacp1, on a less somber note, Ken and I will be on your ms Savor June 14th Blue Danube cruise! Looking forward to meeting you, so sorry it had to be because of this.

• Options

Update: " . . . the check's in the mail, . . . "

Actually the refund checks were received yesterday. According to my math, Tauck charged us for just over one day on the trip. There was no note or letter. Just the check.

There were four Tauck groups in Israel at the same time. Our group had the welcome reception/dinner; the next day walking tour of Jaffa; and then, while at Haifa, the announcement that Tauck had cancelled the trip.

Still curious if Tauck will refund us for the change in flight fee. We had booked the flights independently from Tauck.

• Options

You have to go through the insurance for flights, it says that on the Tauck website.

• Options

Update; Good news - I reached out to Tauck for expense reimbursement and Guest Relations came through. Tauck set up a list of travelers who had their trips cancelled to Israel-Jordan so we were assigned a reference number with Aon Insurance. Very easy and very nice of Tauck to do so. Claim submitted Nov. 16; others (most) have submitted their claims. Will provide an update after receiving claim approval (or rejection).

• Options

Update: Good news, I must be living the good life or just plain lucky. Aon approved the insurance claim today. Total time from date of submission of claim; 2.5 weeks.

• Options

Wow, Cathy! I cannot imagine having to outrun a pirate ship. I'm glad that you're safely home.

• Options

Cathy/so happy all worked out. You certainly have stories to tell!!

• Options

Cathy I'm glad you had fun, but I know you're disappointed that a "Wonder of Antiquity" tour turned into a "Greek Isles and the Dalmatian Coast" tour.

After your October 2025 tour you will have cruised to most everywhere you can in the Mediterranean (and associated seas). You just need to add in the end-points, Gibraltar and Istanbul (which you've likely already been to, having traveled as much as you have).

Will the October cruise offer Petra as an excursion? It seems like that might be the only thing from your altered Antiquities tour (besides the Arabia peninsula stops) that you didn't mention as being in your October cruise.

• Options

cathyandsteve, what brave, intrepid travelers you are! One of my favorite quotes is “Travel leaves us speechless and then turns us into storytellers”. You have a lifetime of stories to tell. Best wishes in your future adventures.

• Options

If you can’t get insurance, surely you won’t risk going Cathy?
    I don’t understood why the boat did not visit the Arab countries. How about the Tauck Arabian cruise, we really enjoyed that last year.

• Options

Cathyandsteve we were on the Regent cruise (SS Navigator) just prior to your cruise. We started in Athens and ended in Istanbul on November 10th. Hopefully we didn’t mess up the ship too much for you guys.

The closest we got to any of the war action was Cyprus. We were not affected by any of the issues that your cruise went through. Cyprus is fairly close to the action and I know that a few of the passengers expressed concern. We did hear some rumblings amongst the crew that the next cruise (your cruise) had some significant changes and may have some challenges.

I saw what changes Regent made to your itinerary and I don’t think $500 OBC and 25% FCC is adequate for the amount of changes from what you booked.

This was our first cruise on Regent and overall it was excellent. Our one disappointment with this cruise was the shore excursions. We have been on 10 Tauck trips with the eleventh coming up in June. In comparing the local tours with Tauck and Regent I would give the winning vote to Tauck. With very few exceptions all the local guides and tours with Tauck were excellent. With Regent we had a few that were downright awful. A few of the guides were not qualified. Not all were bad but enough to give Tauck the winning vote.

A note about Istanbul airport. If any readers of this post are departing from Istanbul airport (IST) be prepared for a nightmare scenario. Upon entering the airport you will go through a full security check including X ray and metal detectors. You then go to the ticket counter to check baggage and get a boarding pass etc. Here again there is a minor security check. You will then go to the gate area where you will again go through another full security check including X ray and metal detectors. Here I also got a full body pat down since I could not get through the metal detector without setting it off. The only metal I possibly had was a zipper on my pants. Once at the gate you will go through another security check. We both had our carry on bags emptied and checked with a fine tooth comb. I was also given another body pat down from a gate agent who had not bathed or used deodorant. Once onboard our Turkish Airlines business class it was a great flight. Turkish Airlines business class lounge at IST is also one of the best we have been in. (Apologies for the rant but I am still upset about the IST experience)

• Options

Several airports are as you describe these days. I can’t go through X-rays either. I don’t mind all this as long as I don’t miss my flight.

• Options

I’m flying Turkish Airlines next fall and will be transiting through Istanbul both coming and going. Two options were available - one with 2 hour layover and the other with 5 hours. I picked the longer layover. I am now confident in my choice - I too have issues with X-ray screening. And on my last trip, I had to wait quite a while for a woman who could ‘frisk’ me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file