South Africa - elegant safari

Hello all - Does anyone know the best time to visit south africa? I love warm weather - so I was thinking about next November or December - but then I read elsewhere that it is rainy and you don't see as many animals. I'm looking at the elegant safari tour there. I may also want to go to the Tanzania tour Seringeti to Zanzibar - I just cancelled that trip in February because I was concerned about quarantine there with omnicron - I'm hoping by next November it's more under control and that we have better pharmaceuticals. Thanks all.!!!

Comments

• MMatilla - I find https://weatherspark.com to be very useful when determining the best time to visit a place. A lot of information is provided - temperatures, precipitation, humidity, water temperatures, etc. You just enter the city you're interested in and then it provides the information.

• MMatilla, If you like warm weather November would be a good time to go. We were on the South Africa Elegant Adventure tour that began this past November. The weather in Cape Town was very mild. When we got to Kruger National Park for the Safaris the weather actually got quite hot. There were a couple of days that the midday temperatures actually got to 100+ Fahrenheit. The game drives are going to be early morning and early evening so you will not be out during the blazing heat. Most of the animals don’t want to be out in this heat either. There was no lack of animals as they were abundant everywhere. We also had very minimal rain during the trip.

On the days with intense midday heat we opted to stay in our air conditioned lodge room and watch some of the wildlife from our window or as in the case below some of the wildlife came and watched us.

In the evening if you get too parched from the heat there are always the Sundowners which were very helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions as this trip is still fresh in our mind.

• Thank you so much John - that is amzingly helpful - I just love the picture of the two little monkeys - love!! I'm so excited about this trip!!!

• Thought I would share this one as well. We see this stuff on National Geographic and other wildlife shows on TV but never saw it in the wild. Here is a video I took of the Monkey grooming ritual taking place right outside our room as we were relaxing.
    https://youtu.be/ZlI3PRbxJG4

• Good to see you back on the forum John!

• thanks!! I can't wait to go - I love your other post on the forum - I didn't see it before I posted this! thank you!!

• British, thanks I have been reading the forum as I recuperate but not doing much posting. Anyone who has read my first posts from this tour will know my wife and I faced some pretty big travel challenges as well as a personal medical issue (this wasn’t posted) that came up on this tour. I have some first hand experience with the South African medical system. I will have to say that Tauck was exemplary on how this was all handled. We have some fairly aggressive travel plans for this year with 3 Tauck tours scheduled. Hopefully these go as planned.

• Hope you continue to recuperate well - I've heard great things about how Tauck handles this sort of thing. I'm really hoping to travel this year - I was concerned about it at this particular juncture mostly the possibility of quarantine and all the travel delays - that's part of the reason I am hoping to travel next fall - hoping by then it will be somewhat resolved. Again - all the best to you - I like all your posts -