Options

Clothing

What are the best pants to wear? I have wool socks, boots, gloves, thermal shirts and a jacket for layering but not a clue about pants!
Would lined jeans be warm enough?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019

i don't think jeans, most especially snug ones, will hack it as outerwear- they provide little to no protection against wind, cold temps, and moisture. We don't go until Feb, but my understanding is that snow (ski, snowboard, etc.) pants (regular or bibbers with or without boot gaiters) are best for your outer layer. They are loose enough to allow freedom of movement but still protect against the cold wind and moisture. I'm torn between just one inner layer (thermal underwear or sweat pants) or two (thermal underwear and sweat pants or regular/corduroy pants) under my ski pants when it looks like we will be out for awhile (sleigh ride, snow shoeing, etc.) I am leaning towards two, but I don't want to melt while riding in the snow coach. Trapped moisture makes it easier to get cold.

REI says you should have:

1. A base layer (underwear layer): wicks sweat off your skin
    2. Middle layer (insulating layer): retains body heat to protect you from the cold
    3. Outer layer (shell layer): shields you from wind and rain

Here are some sources:

Backpacker

Outbound

The Planet The most recent and probably the best one (though a bit commercial.)

• Options

You'll probably want more than lined jeans. It can be well below zero, and jeans can be a problem when they are wet from being out in the snow. We wore snow pants over a mid-weight base layer when we were outdoors.
    We really enjoyed this tour., Yellowstone without the summer crowds is a different place. We watched Old Faithful erupt with no more than a dozen other people. On our last morning at Old Faithful we walked around the Upper Geyser Basin loop trail completely alone, no other people. In the cold the tiniest thermal feature steams and gets your attention. On the other hand, you don’t just walk out. You really need to layer up, put on your snow pants and boots, have your hat and mittens on before you go out. We had great weather, never above freezing but rarely below zero, yet when the wind came up it was cold, and the week after we were there it was much colder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file