Options

E.U. agrees on covid certificates

E.U. agrees on covid certificates to sweep away barriers on travel between countries

BRUSSELS — European policymakers struck a deal Thursday to sweep away travel barriers among European countries through a digital certificate system, another step toward normalizing global movement after more than a year in which the modern, interconnected world has seemed on pause because of the pandemic.

The agreement seeks to eliminate quarantine requirements for people who can prove they are at low risk of having covid-19 because they are vaccinated, have recently tested negative for the coronavirus, or have already recovered from the disease. The plan will set up a digital certificate system that policymakers hope will make it easy for travelers to prove their status. It will go into effect July 1, although E.U. countries will have another six weeks to implement it if they are not ready by then.

Comments

• Options

So how will Americans get hold of a digital certificate?
    Tauck has cancelled all but a few European tours until the end of July. I don’t think this summer can be salvaged for tour groups, maybe independently travel. I could not go to Europe now if you asked me, I’ve planned other things. My alternative 2021 travel plans are now made. If London opens up in the Fall, we might see if we can get there for a week of site seeing, since that is no longer in the EU.
    Right now, I’m on vacation in the US. I’ve even been in a packed high end restaurant, no mask, servers unmasked, no social distance. It’s weird.

• Options

EU agrees travel certificate
    On Thursday EU politicians agreed on the technicalities of an EU Digital Covid Certificate - essentially a health passport for EU CITIZENS to travel inside the 27-nation bloc. It will show a traveller's vaccination record.
    The EU has been racing to get the certificate ready for summer tourism, as countries emerging from months of lockdown are desperate to revive their hospitality industries.
    The EU certificate is now "well on track to be ready end of June, as planned," an official statement said.

ALL THIS IS ABOUT THE EU NOT THE US