Options

Camera & Lens cleaning

I think I need to have my DSLR camera and main lens cleaned-

I just have a basic lower end-Canon Rebel SL-1 (also know as an EOS 100D). The lens I always use is a Tamron 16 - 300 mm.

I take the same combination on every tour so they have had a lot of use, abuse and been in hot, dusty, and humid environments. A couple of times during our last two tours, I think the mirror was giving me problems and got stuck up. I don't believe I received any error codes. The view-finder has some particles which don't show up in photos but are annoying just the same.

Has anyone sent out their DSLR and lenses to be cleaned either at the factory or factory authorized repair outfit? I understand, depending on what they find and need to do, it may not be a simple or inexpensive procedure. I'm also concerned the camera or lens may come back in worse condition than when I sent them off.

Canon https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-maintenance-service offers a 7-point Image Sensor cleaning package for $69 and an 18-Point Maintenance Service package for $139, either of which appear will fit the bill. Additionally, they say, "A complete cleaning of the camera will be performed including the all important image sensor. Up to 18 individual inspections are made to insure that your camera is working as designed. Should our technician find something of concern you will be provided with the option to have it repaired (charges may apply) minimizing down time."

Has anyone had this done and were you satisfied? Has anyone used other service providers like B&H, etc.?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022

I have not had any problems with one of my cameras that I could not clean myself.

You didn't ask this question, but an alternative might be to purchase another camera, specifically a mirrorless camera. I tried a bunch of cameras with imagers from 1/1.8", 1", 4/3" and APS-C. The small imagers have too much noise in low light conditions. The APS-C camera was much better but is physically large. And the larger the imager, the larger, and heavier, the lenses that go with it.

I finally settled on the 4/3" imager cameras as a good tradeoff between physical size/weight and low light capability. I bought a Panasonic G-85, which is a good camera, but recently moved to an Olympus OM-D M1-Mark iii because it offered a few features I thought would help me do better photography on a trip.

I have a paper I wrote about why I went the way I did and can provide it, if you'd like.

Wikipedia has an article on imagers at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

• Options

Alan - I used a local camera shop of excellent reputation and an authorized Canon service agent for my older Canon EOS Rebel. I had managed to get dust spots on the sensor from humidity/condensation during a Costa Rica trip. I learned later that in those conditions it’s best to keep your equipment out of cool AC or to have two full apparatuses with different lenses so you don’t have to open the body and swap lenses.

The local shop was great. Cleaning was excellent. Worth the $, unless you plan to invest in an upgrade. I did the $140 option so I could I make it a starter camera for my daughter.

• Options

Just a comment about getting dust on the imager. When you're in a dirty environment, hold the body with the lens down. Remove the lens and put a new lens in with the body facing down.

It's easier to clean the lens than the imager.

• Options

MikeHenderson
    7:23PM
    Just a comment about getting dust on the imager. When you're in a dirty environment, hold the body with the lens down. Remove the lens and put a new lens in with the body facing down. It's easier to clean the lens than the imager.

I never open the camera or change lenses.

• Options

AlanS, helloooooooooooooo

My 4th was busy.. I need to celebrate the 5th, Venezuelan Independence Day. :) ironic.. sadly it's independence from democracy. :(

Well, anyway.. I wanted to ask you, how long it normally takes to have the camera clean?
    I completely forgot and I have about 7 weeks left.
    Please advise. :)
    Thanks as always.
    Ciao

• Options

mil
    July 4
    . . . . how long it normally takes to have the camera clean?

One of the others here will need to weigh in since I haven't done it yet. First, do you really need to have it cleaned? Are you having any problems? If not you can probably have it inspected - they will look at it very closely and inspect the body and lens with special scopes but I wouldn't do more than than that unless you are having problems. My mirror was sticking (I think).

I use a Tamron lens instead of a Canon. Tamron claims 3 days to intake, inspect and repair, and pack/ship their lenses. I'm not sure what Canon says about their bodies There is a big Canon service center only 2 hours away near where my son lives so I might send or take my camera body there.

• Options
    milmil
    edited July 2022

Hi. :) no issues with my camera... just as a precaution... but you are right, maybe inspection is sufficient.
    I'm by myself at work again...I'm getting really tire of this, no help! :(
    thanks for the info. .

• Options
    edited July 2022

MikeHenderson
    Just a comment about getting dust on the imager. When you're in a dirty environment, hold the body with the lens down. Remove the lens and put a new lens in with the body facing down.
    It's easier to clean the lens than the imager.

Damn. Wish I had thought of that!

MIL
    Well, anyway.. I wanted to ask you, how long it normally takes to have the camera clean?
    I completely forgot and I have about 7 weeks left.

If I recall - It took about 1-2 weeks. But I didn’t do shipping. I would suspect, that it’s all dependent on back log of work to be done, technician vacation time. See if there is a local authorized service center and give them a call.

• Options

So, I called one of the local Camera places I know well - 2 days if needed $70.00
    I think I will do it, better safe then sorry. :) They will check anyways and determine if needed.
    Thanks everyone.