Options

Travel document delays

Got an email from my US Representative that I thought may interest the forumites (edited to remove personal info, links and irrelevant info):

As you get ready for upcoming travel, be sure your documents are up-to-date well in advance. Travelers applying for or re-enrolling in Global Entry, or similar Trusted Traveler Programs, are facing delays up to 11 months in processing times that could impact your travel plans.

If you are already enrolled in Global Entry, you can avoid delays by renewing your membership BEFORE the expiration date.

Travelers are eligible to renew their membership one year prior to the expiration date. If you submit a renewal before your membership expires, you will be able to continue using your benefits for 24 months after your membership expiration date.

Trusted Traveler Programs, like Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, SENTRI, NEXUS, and FAST allow members to save time by using expedited lanes at airports and border crossings. While the vast majority of applications are approved within 15 days, if your application requires additional review it can take months.

PASSPORTS: Keep in mind that many countries require your passport to be valid for an additional 3-6 months beyond your planned trip in order to be granted entry. Don’t wait until it’s too late – make sure you know when your passport expires and make a plan to get it renewed as soon as possible.

Processing Times

Comments

• Options

FYI. In 2024 a visa for travel to EU countries from the U.S. is limited to ages 18-70. That lets many of us off the hook

• Options

cathyandsteve, I wanted to get mine renewed before the expiration in Feb 2024, so I did the same thing as Steve. I just did regular shipping and got mine back in 7 weeks. I was surprised how quickly it came back. The old passport came about a week later.

• Options

The EU visa has been pushed back to 2025

• Options

Choc - you still need an ETIAS but it’s free for those under 18 and over 70.

• Options

Thx for the update