Options

Review of tour

2»

Comments

• Options

I'm always on the lookout. It's the cinnamon and sugar that make the chicken in phyllo so delicious. I've seen it on menus at Moroccan restaurants in Paris and Montreal, less often here; have found it at Marseille's Marché de Noailles, the African market, and two women sell it at the market in Lyon. Originally I believe it was made with pigeon. Haven't tried making it again since our cooking class.

• Options

I had to look that up too, sounds delicious and I’m going to give it a try, maybe even skip the pastry and have the chicken part over rice instead. Going to Morocco next year

• Options

MarketArt >Don't know your departure city,
    New Orleans. Also, I looked up Basteeya...looks delicious. Can't wait to try it!

• Options

For all you cooks - definitely pick up some Ras el Hanout spice mix. It's a blend of cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardomom and other spices. Warm and toasty without being hot. I mostly use it when I'm grilling chicken, making schnitzel or even in meatloaf.

I gave away or finished all my spices from our Morocco trip. Make sure you buy enough! So easy to bring home - put them in a ziploc bag in your suitcase in case one opens during flights. Best souvenir!

• Options

PL: Looks like no nonstops from New Orleans to Lisbon, so better scratch that idea, sorry.

• Options

Hi MarketArt Thanks for the suggestions. I booked my flights with Delta yesterday. I was lucky enough to get a flight into Rabat and out of Marrakech. No need to worry about the long transfer or overnight layovers AND Delta is flying the A350 so I'm a happy camper. It's not Qatar and I will not get PJs but at least I'll have the preferred seat configuration. 1st world problems ;)

• Options

Another word to the wise: I purchased a briefcase as a gift for my son at the tannery in Fez. It was delivered to me at the hotel. I realized when I got home to the US that one of the many zippers did not work. It could open and close, but when "closed," the teeth separated, so it was really part way open. I found a shop here in the US that could replace the zipper, but it's costing me $110 to do so (on top of the several hundred dollars that the briefcase cost). So -- before purchasing something at the tannery, make sure that all of the zippers work! (And now, I suppose that I had better check the zipper on the purse that I bought for my daughter.)

• Options

MCD. So sorry to hear about the non-functioning zipper. When you're tempted to think about, just focus on the good memories of the tour.

• Options

Thanks, PureLuxury. I do have many good memories of the tour. And I'm still happy with the briefcase. I justed want to give future travelers a heads' up to check the zippers on whatever they buy.